Webhosting? Who should I switch to?

I'd go for ICDsoft of Cyberpixels. In fact, i am considering switching to one of em.

I'm looking over ICD right now. Do let me know how it goes, if you go for it. Come back a month later. It seems great, but that's also how I felt going into my first two webhosts.

AffordableHost serves my need right now, but I also know I'm limiting myself on the amount of images I use. If I had unlimited space and bandwith, I'd put up all the pictures from the family album, and all the music I can find. But as it is, I'm using less than 2MB space and less than 25MB bandwith a month. So, I could live on less.

Do tell me how it goes at ICD (a month or two from now)... I might get my sister an account.

One problem with Hostonce besides their 50% uptime was that a traceroute to them was over 30 hops and took 5 mins. With Cyberpixels is 13 in under 5 sec. and icdsoft is 18 in about 10sec.

What's that thing about hopping? Tell me what it means, please, and how to go about measuring it.

Originally posted by Dusky
Do tell me how it goes at ICD (a month or two from now)... I might get my sister an account.

I've had ICDSoft for months now (6 or more) and it's still awesome! I've uploaded and downloaded and had others upoload a bunch of stuff and had no issues. Even stuff over 30Mbs.

Twister
(if you click on my link on page 1 and sign up i'd be so happy)

(if you click on my link on page 1 and sign up i'd be so happy

And you'd also be richer by 20% of whatever deal I get from them. Hehe, but I'm koo with that. I'll look for this thread and click on your link when I'm ready to purchase.

Originally posted by Dusky
What's that thing about hopping? Tell me what it means, please, and how to go about measuring it.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/traceroute.html

Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise how many hops away from Internet backbone they are. Theoretically, the fewer hops it takes to get your data onto the backbone, the faster your access will be.

http://www.traceroute.org/

Javabased tool for OS X:

http://www.visualware.com/download/index.html#visualroute

BTW... I've just started using the visualroute application and it's really cool... being in New Zealand it's interesting to see who's selling hosting services from Hoboken, NJ, for example (!)...

totally kewl man, totally...

:)

:banana: <-- I want my dancing banana!!!

Originally posted by twister
ICDSoft is exactly what you need. Great service, great support, and $5 a month. I've had it for a while and it's awesome!!!

Twister

Wow, I just traced them back to Hong Kong! No wonder it's only $5/month...

ok i have the same problem now as tk4two1 (the one who started this thread).
I need an extremely fast, php4 supported, at least 350 megabytes of space, and really cheap (6 bucks per month MAXIMUM). Anyone know anything good? I use website servers for 2 websites (1 main site and 1 subdomain), and to put a bunch of my pics (all pics add up to 200 megabytes counting all the pics for the site, and the pics that i take with my camera, and make with some application).
I was trying out .Mac, and i hate it. I tried hostonce for a while, and it's sooo slow, even though there's unlimited everything, but no PHP.

I use www.rcthost.com for my hosting needs. They've got PHP, unlimited MySQL databases, lots of space and bandwidth, tons of configuration options, unlimited subdomains, and a hell of a lot more, for around $99 a year (based on their current plans... they seem to change their specials a lot). They have awesome customer service, and are really worth a look.

If you have a broadband connection, the Apache HTTP Server included with OS X (Apple calls the feature "Personal Web Sharing") is very handy. Ultimate control.

Scottish

ru serious?!??! awesome! i can host on my mac???????????
hmmm.....how do i install php? I suck at installing things using the terminal......
o, and is that RCT Host thing FAST? As fast as icdsoft??!?! faster than hostonce???????????
o, and they have something for 15 dollars us per year!!!!!!!!!! gonna register there, i already got my own domain name!!!!!!

Originally posted by Androo
ru serious?!??! awesome! i can host on my mac???????????
hmmm.....how do i install php? I suck at installing things using the terminal......
o, and is that RCT Host thing FAST? As fast as icdsoft??!?! faster than hostonce???????????
o, and they have something for 15 dollars us per year!!!!!!!!!! gonna register there, i already got my own domain name!!!!!!
Why do I get the feeling I'm being patronized?

I just signed up with ICD Soft and they are great. I'm a total newbie at web creation and had lots of questions. Their response time was incredible. I expected that I would have to wait 24 hours for a response, but they always got back to me within an hour.

I'm gonna switch to RCThost....
it's only 15 bucks per year....
but how much webspace do you get with the 15 bucks a year plan?????????

Back