Weird HD partition and capacity after Apple Servicing?

jb_lyndon

Registered
Just got my eMac back from repair shop and when installing OS noticed that in Disk Utility that the "55.90 GB" HD is partitioned in 3 sections:

1- Name:______
Format: Free Space
Size: 128.00 MB

2- Name: Untitled 1
Format: Mac OS Extended
Size: 49.86 GB

3- Name:______
Format: Free Space
Size: 8.00 KB

Is this normal? or recommended? (maybe a buffer zone on each end of the disk?)

What seems weird is that Disk Utility Information for the volume "Untitled 1" reports a capacity of 55.77 GB.

Can anybody help me understand this?

This seems very weird. I would ask the repair shop if there was any particular reason they did this (bad inode perhaps?).

Thanks, I truely appreciate but, "bad inode"? i don't quite (or more importantly) know at all what that might mean.

Should I feel free to Erase the actual "55.90 GB" HD (not only the "Untitled 1" volume) and reinstall OSX or is there a benefit to having some "free space" on either end of the hard disk?

I don't know anything about initializing a hard drive (keep in mind that it is my one and only HD) and I don't want to anything up... It's brand new and i want to do everything I can to start over as clean as possible.

Help Please!

Yes, you can boot from the OS CD and use Drive Utility to wipe the drive and use the way you want, with or without partitions. Will not harm anything.

It looks like the service shop may have created a "service" or "troubleshooting" partition. Dells actaully ship like that, with certain tools on a small, invisible partition so that the Dell techs can troubleshoot problems.

I would say it's safe to repartition your drive however you like... one big partition, a few smaller ones, whatever. If you're still unsure, give the service guys that did that to your machine a call and check with them.

Back