Weird Internet Issue

StuWallinger

Registered
Hello,

I'm rather stuck on an issue with my boss' imac. He runs it on osx 10.4.11 i believe (home setup so i haven't looked at it since last week but i'm sure thats the version) and he can't stay connected to the internet.

However, when airport is turned off and back on he will have fast internet access for about 5-15secs then no internet but he will still be connected to the network - at least airport says that.

I noticed soon later when trying to do a download before it crapped out that if the mac is constantly internet busy, like a download, it will stay connected, but once it is done the download... the internet is gone again.

I have tryed changing the channels, making a static ip, hard restarts of the router (which is next to imac at the moment) and still no change.

any ideas?

Thanks

Well check if you boss has went to any p0rn sites and get the free utility that checks for it at DNSChanger Removal Tool - 1.1. Then go into Safari's preferences and turn off "open 'safe" files after downloading" to stop automatic scripts from running.

Lastly have you been running maintenance on that Mac? You know if you run either Yasu or Onyx and run all those cleaning routines once every four weeks. It is wise to restart your Mac twice after running those scripts to rebuild the startup/shutdown cache.

Last edited:
Definitely do as Satcomer advises. I checked out of fear for the DNSChanger some time ago--nothing. However, after reading a similar thread, I literally ran into a few Mac users at the local cafe/bar who complained about the internet connection.

"Here, try this."

Now they worship me.

It is quite embarrassing.

--J.D.

P.S. That is a ditto for the Yasu and Onyx. I have the later--also got Cocktail long ago. Surprising how much better things do when you use them periodically.

Back