weird resolution/monitor problem

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
On my B&W Tower with a 17" monitor, every time I run games in fullscreen mode at 640*480 it runs it in a box offset to the right surrounded by black, about the size it should be mabye on a 15" screen. Same thing happens in Quicktime when I try to present movies at Full Screen mode. Same thing goes for 800*600. In Quake 2 it works normally when I put it at 832*6xx (can't rememeber exact dimensions for that). In Heavy Metal FAKK 2 it runs normal when I run it at 1024*768. Problem is it can't handle running all games at resolutions higher than 640*480 without the cost of looking like crap. Games run fine in fullscreen 640*480 when booted into Classic, same goes for QuickTime presented at Full Screen. It's really getting annoying only getting 15" viewable in my games on my 17" monitor... VLC can replace QuickTime for now, it's much better anyways for most playback, but I really want the games thing fixed! Anyone know why this happens, or even better how to fix it?

It's probably because your monitor's "electron guns" are calibrated to provide a clean, centered image at a certain resolution (I'm assuming you're running 1024x768 regularly). When you switch to 640x480, the "guns" are still calibrated for 1024x768, but displaying 640x480, hence the distorted image.

Try this: switch to 640x480, and use your monitors controls to adjust the image... make it centered, resize it, etc. etc. etc. Then, switch back to 1024x768 -- does it look ok? Can you switch between the two resolutions now and have the image look ok? If so, good... if not, then you've got the same problem I do on one of my monitors -- the monitor can only be calibrated for one resolution at a time. On my Apple 17" Studio Display 17 VGA, it's ok -- I can adjust the controls for every resolution and have it remember them. On my cheap-o KDS Envision 17", I can only calibrate for one resolution at a time.

Wow how dumb can I be? I didn't even think of that. It's a matching B&W Apple monitor so it remembers all the settings nicely. Thanks for reminding me.

Back