Well... it's the 28th :D

I think this is going to be huge. I can't actually download anything yet since the music store won't work outside the US yet (swines!) but the interface is lovely and AAC sounds fantastic. I just ripped Point by Cornelius and it sounds beautiful! I'm so impressed, I can open up iTunes and preview lovely sounding audio by lots of decent bands (not just the nasty commercial stuff like Eminem) like the Super Furries, Idlewild, Flaming Lips etc etc and (in theory) buy it. Steve has done well, I think this is going to mean very big things for Apple, especially when the Windows version appears. So does this mean we can expect iTunes for XP? And what about Linux? Exciting stuff.

Bloody hell, they even have a decent bunch of the Pearl Jam live albums, including for the gig that I was at in Glasgow! Hail Steve. You've saved Apple....again.

Can someone send me a PM or post here about how to use this sharing function in iTunes ? I don't understand. How do I know which servers are available ? What if a friend tells me his IP or server name, is it that name I must enter in the connection window ? I'm lost. This sharing function has been voluntarily made a bit obscure IMO.

Im digging the new backlight on the ipods!

Though....that red colour for the touch buttons....i hate it. Hopefully it'll grow on me....

Originally posted by OmegaMan
Im digging the new backlight on the ipods!

Though....that red colour for the touch buttons....i hate it. Hopefully it'll grow on me....

Yeah, kinda strange. I wonder why they didn't use an aqua. Or perhaps implement the color changing patent they registered and allow the user to change between a few colors ... kind of like the high end Canon ZR.

Originally posted by monktus
Bloody hell, they even have a decent bunch of the Pearl Jam live albums, including for the gig that I was at in Glasgow! Hail Steve. You've saved Apple....again.

Really? I can't find ANYTHING I want. No Madonna (I just lost 4 CDs I'd like to replace), no Robbie Williams "Escapology" none of the 4-5 currently-playing radio singles I'd like.

The final straw was a Cyndi Lauper song a Windows user asked me to look for. Nope. All it found was Miles Davis "Best of" because it had a song called "Time After Time".

I went to Acquisition and literally had the Cyndi track in under 5 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT this to work but I'm not too impressed with the library of available tunes so far... :(

Originally posted by cwoody222
Really? I can't find ANYTHING I want. No Madonna (I just lost 4 CDs I'd like to replace), no Robbie Williams "Escapology" none of the 4-5 currently-playing radio singles I'd like.

The final straw was a Cyndi Lauper song a Windows user asked me to look for. Nope. All it found was Miles Davis "Best of" because it had a song called "Time After Time".

I went to Acquisition and literally had the Cyndi track in under 5 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT this to work but I'm not too impressed with the library of available tunes so far... :(

Just like Safari, this is an introduction, not an end product. Also, Robbie Williams, unfortunately, doesn't have the following in the US that he does in Yrup. Since the music service is only geared to the US for now, it makes sense that it targets the US market.

I've also found or not found as it were, a number of artists that I want. Hopefully they'll appear before long. The success of this service will be the diversity of its offerings.

Originally posted by toast
Can someone send me a PM or post here about how to use this sharing function in iTunes ? I don't understand. How do I know which servers are available ? What if a friend tells me his IP or server name, is it that name I must enter in the connection window ? I'm lost. This sharing function has been voluntarily made a bit obscure IMO.

I may be way off on this (I don't have iTunes 4 yet) but I belive that the sharing you're speaking of is only available to Macs on the same subnet on the network. I believe it's just a sharing of the libraries on the network so that you can play a song from one to the next Mac. I don't think that you can download from other sources.

Nevermind... I've been proven wrong :eek:

Originally posted by Ugg
Just like Safari, this is an introduction, not an end product. Also, Robbie Williams, unfortunately, doesn't have the following in the US that he does in Yrup. Since the music service is only geared to the US for now, it makes sense that it targets the US market.

I've also found or not found as it were, a number of artists that I want. Hopefully they'll appear before long. The success of this service will be the diversity of its offerings.

I hear ya. Good points.

But, just to play devil's advacate ;) The Robbie CD I was looking for is the newest one, just released in the US - the one that's supposed to market him to the US market.

Plus, they had 3 older albums, just not this one.

But, I agree...I hope more are comin'...

The Zep needs to be rectfied, but the selection is fine for a start-up. If it was a store, you'd be happy with it. Especially the browse function.
I'm sure as it grows, there'll be more diversity in groups and international representation such as Oz and Europe. And when Robbie Williams only sells about 30,000 copies in the US, don't expect him to be under the exclusive list just yet.

Almost bought the "exclusive" Marilyn mix with Eminem but I hedged...then I went to Acquisition and I had it in about 3 minutes.

Why again would I pay?

What exactly is it "exclusive" to?

Then, in my mood, I type "goonies cyndi" and find ZERO matches. Acquisition finds it and has a download time of less than a minute.

200,000 songs.

Who's songs?

Well, the more I read it is not Apple that is the limiting factor here, rather the record companies themselves as well as the artists. Some artists contracts stipulate that their music is not to be released electronically. Also, the contracts are only with the 5 major record companies.

Unless I'm mistaken, music ownership is an incredibly convoluted mess. Doesn't Michael Jackson own E Presley's music?

I'm not in the least defending Apple. The only way, IMHO, for this to work is for them to have the broadest selection out there. They need to be the amazon.com of the downloadable music business. If they, for whatever reason, fail to convince the holdout labels and artists then this service will fail. People don't want to search 500 hundred labels or music services to find the music they want to buy. Especially if there are different property rights limitations for each service/label. If that is what ends up happening, then everyone is going to go dowload the music for free from somewhere else.

For me this is the perfect solution but others seem to have the idea in their head that music is meant to be downloaded for free. To hell with the artist, to hell with the legality/morality of it.

I will not pay $18 for a cd that I can not copy or play on my computer. I will pay $10 to download the music.

With the major limiting factor being the availability of the music I'm sure that contracts with other record comanies are in the works. If you were in charge of apple and wanted to release this service would you go after the major 5 first or would you try to sign many thousands of other record comanies to get the same number of titles? Also you must look at the popularity of these artists... I have heard of Eminem, I have heard of marilyn manson, I haven't ever heard of any group by the name "goonies cyndi". (I'm not singling anybody out... this is just an example :) )Many of my favorite bands are nowhere to be found on the apple store.

This is just the beginning. How many smaller record companies do you think are beating on apples doors right now, just so they can compete with the big guys?

As was said in the "Field of Dreams" --- Build it and they will come! :D

you can download tracks by Robbie Williams from the beginnning of the store! Yup.
Albums they have:

Sing when you're winning
The Ego Has Landed

Leave me a PM when the Store'll contain some good music. I mean, it's fine to have one David Holmes and one 4Hero in the Electronic section. But David Holmes released dozens of works, and 4Hero is not the only guy to know what DNB is on this planet.

Back