What about your hard drive ?

What about your HD ?

• More than 50% of my HD is always vacant.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I have reasonable free space [25-50% of the drive]

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I spend most of my time with less than 1Gb free.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I saturate my disk often.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toast

Gone !
Computer social science: the more space you have, the faster you fill it completely, hence the faster you need some more space.

I had a 5400/160 Performa I never saturated completely but once. I had this computer for 7 years, my hard drive was 1.6Gb.
Now I already saturated my iMac 20Gb hard drive two times in a year or so. And keeping 1Gb or so of free space is an everyday struggle.

What about you lot ? How is your hard drive do ?

You have to consider what OS and apps run on these older computers with smaller HDs.

System 7 is probably not over 50MB. Most apps from that time are probably not over 10MB. Its a lot harder to fill up these older systems HDs because of this. Apps shipped on floppies, not CDs.

Now you have Mac OS X that is a 1.2GB install by default. Office X is 450MB and so forth. Broadband internet, mp3s, mpeg movies, video games, etc can fill up your HD in no time.

I've downloaded over 6GB worth of files in one day before.

My first computer HD was only 426MB running Windows 3.11. I never filled it up.

Most programers now think they have an unlimited amount of resources and most apps today are bloated be cause of this. Storage size has not kept up in relationship to app size.

I only have a 40 GB drive. I only got it because I have some sort of a certain hard disk claustrophobia. :D

Before that, I have a 10 GB which had 2 GB remaining... Now I have a 40 GB with around 24 GB left. It's great stuff. ;)

Well, I had a Gateway that I got about 2 years ago and had a 20 gig on it, and that was ALWAYS full from day one. Then, about 3 some odd months ago, I bought a new iMac with an 80 gig in it, and am doing much better.:D

I like keeping a few different hard drives in my machine for different tasks -- partitioning puts too much stress on a drive nowadays, and hard drives aren't the fail-safe beasts they were once upon a time. No one can expect a $100 60GB hard drive to last when you REALLY use it to its full potential.

Currently, I'm sitting here with a 10GB drive for OS 9, a 20GB for OS X, a 40GB for miscellaneous driver/program/application updates and all my MP3s, and lastly, a 60GB for video/audio editing/capturing. No partitions at all. Just separate disks. Two are 5400RPM (the system drives) and the others are 7200RPM. I used to swear by multiple partitions, but now I swear by independent disks... I love it, but I'm all out of room!

All of my disks are less than 60% full. I like to keep it that way. Sometimes the video disk creeps up to about 75% full when I'm capturing and editing, but no more than that...

Originally posted by itanium

I've downloaded over 6GB worth of files in one day before.

WOW(ur very lucky).. i hope next year when i go to university ill have such fast internet speed. with my ISDN 64K its pathetic, it takes hours to download 100 mb :)

anywayz... i have 2 60GB hard disks. theyre probably less than 50% full. but eventually they will get filled up. and if i have an external firewire HD it would be full of movies(im kinf of a movie fanatic)...

I have a cable modem and a 40 gig hard drive. What I do is every once and a while (when I get below 10 gigs) I clean up everything by deleating all my old .mp3 files that I will never listen to and by putting everything I wont be using in the immediate future on cdrs.

Struggled with 1.2Gb on the Umax for long enough. Stretching my legs in 40+80 Barracuda bad boys on my G4. Couldn't live with the original 8Gb on my PowerBook either so upped it to 20Gb. Dad seems to be coping with 4.5Gb on the Umax now cos he only checks his email and scans stuff.

i have only 20G ... but when i dont need something i dont have it on my hd but on cds.

i used to have 10,5 G of mp3s for a moment... on this 20g.

on an other moment i had complete redhat 8.0 downloaded (5cds), yellow dog linux and plenty of other programs... :(

since i have two internal drives (a 60 & 80 Gb) on my G4, I
havent gone over 35% for either (the 80 is partitioned into
2 drives)

on my iBook it has a 30gb hd and 40% is used.

80 gigs on my brand new iMac! Cool. Probably not for long.

BTW, It's down to 50 gigs already, though I have serious trashing to do.

-Doug

Back