What are Apple's top 5 current biggest mistakes?

Maybe the TV add could show a bunch of switchers using the mac mini and their old m$ keyboards and m$-2-button mouse.

aicul said:
Maybe the TV add could show a bunch of switchers using the mac mini and their old m$ keyboards and m$-2-button mouse.

Nah. There's no excuse for Apple to be shy when it comes to marketing Mac OS X. :p

all they have to do is show the fluidity of the graphics in the dock, exposé, minimising, iphoto and the design in general....
ignorance can no longer be an excuse, lots of mac-haters have never actually used one since they used a system 7.5 in school....

Mikuro said:
2. No upgradability. Tons of PC users (especially gamers) are completely put off by the lack of upgrade options for Macs. Only the G5 is upgradable in any real way, and even that isn't much (you're not gonna find any processor upgrades for your two-year-old G5). Apple should A) Give ALL their computers upgradeable graphics cards, and B) Produce their own processor upgrades for the G5s (and possibly their other models as well).

That's not quite true. Yes, right now, there's no G5 processor upgrades, but I doubt that will stay true. And what's this about not being able to upgrade the graphics card? The only ones you can't upgrade are the ones in the iMacs, eMacs, and Power/iBooks since those are built in.

But the G5s aren't the only ones upgradable in any real way. I have a G4 I bought 5 years ago, in Jan 2000. Came with a 5,400 RPM drive (28 GB), ATI Rage 128 card, 450 MHz processor, 256 MB RAM. I still use this machine as my main machine. It now has three 7,200 RPM drives (120 GB) (internally), 1.42 GHz processor upgrade, 1 GB RAM (and I'm probably going to be upping this sooner-than-later), and the original ATI Radeon that came out (I'll be upgrading this really soon - I'm missing out on the cool stuff in Tiger! :D ). Sure, I can't get the cutting edge stuff for it anymore, but it's still plenty upgradeable. And very usable.

he meant, quite rightly, that only the top end tower macs are upgradeable. thenagain, you can't upgrade a dell beyond extra memory anyway - it's all a myth. you can only upgrade a home-made pc, generally

I really wished they would have had room for two optical drives in the G5 tower. I also agree that the real lack of hardly any computer advertising on TV over the last few years have really cut into Apple potential sales.

what do you need another optical drive for? they removed the option because the superdrive does everything an optical drive should do...

i miss the old apple adverts, they were very well done, and very slick, much like the products....

now all we get are the colourful, but a bit boring now, ipod ads

JonKemerer said:
Two button mouse is probably my biggest gripe. I have one, but it doesn't offer the same functionality as in Windows... which right click does a whole lot more. i.e. in the Spotlight search results, you can't right-click and copy or cut. In fact you can't even right-click :rolleyes: Yeah I could use my keyboard or go up to edit >> etc... but you get the idea (I'm lazy).
:)

I can't think of any real situation where Windows has more complete context menu funtionality--except in Windows you can both cut and copy files. As far as Spotlight goes, Win XP doesn't even have a meta-data search function, so how can it do a better job than OS X?

Doug

i've always found the macOS context menu... lacking. can't put my finger on it... just, i feel there are some things that would very intuitively go under a nice context menu...

1) upgrading prices/models every 6 months or more (the candidade switcher that take a look at apple prices in the wrong month probably don't give apple a second chance)
2) too big system upgrade once a year instead of more small upgrade (I hope that after Tiger Apple changes this strategy)
3) 1 year limited warranty (and ridiculously hightly apple care prices on some countries (323€ in Italy for the 999€ iBook.. simply ridiculous))
4) making pbook afraid of ibook
5) don't make a 17 TFT for the mass (good for the mini)
--
6) only two usb port on the mini
7) still 256 on the mini.. hurry up apple, hurry
8) one button mouse (pc users, and some mac user, don't understand it)

Here's another one: having that stupid plus button instead of a real maximize button. most of the time, the plus button just changes one dimension in a bizarre or inconsequential way. I end up having to do it manually anyway.

Scottfab said:
the plus button just changes one dimension in a bizarre or inconsequential way. I end up having to do it manually anyway.

I'm part of that club also, wish I could have a "fill the screen "button.

I'd like to add something, I wouldn't call it a mistake but it's a stupid thing Apple seems to do all the time. It's having the power buttons in some of the most awkward locations. Like on my eMac I have to reach across the side and feel all the way back, practically reaching at the end of the machine, then feel for and touch the power button to turn it on. What would make it so hard to have up front? You know, where it be easiest to find and press? (this might have been mentioned already) It's just stupid to have it in hard to find places. The mini for example has it's power button on it's back too doesn't it? The mini is great because it takes up so little room you could tuck it away some where on your desk, but what be the point if you have to pull it out to turn it on each time?

olivier.marian said:
2 - When you start, you begin to install lots of things... and after 1 day your desktop is covered with mounted files, installation files..... I am ok to chnage my habits and try not to mind where the files are on my hard drive, since OSX is supposed to handle it nicely for me, but please don't get my desktop that messy !!! I am quite a PC computer geek and now i handle it but many friends not very good in computing compalined about this

You do relise.. when you run the .dmg file, it mounts the drive. if you then from there, copy the .app into your applications folder, you can then unmount it, delete the .dmg file and just run the app from the applications folder, never seeing another drive mount from that .app again, right?

i think he means, if you spend a day on the net downloading little things like screensavers, haxies, itunes vis. etc, they are mostly in the format [title].dmg.rar.sit etc, so you unpack the .sit, leaving a .dmg.rar. you unpack the .rar leaving three files. then you mount the disk image and you have four icons now (.dmg.rar.sit, .dmg.rar, .dmg and the actual mounted drive). download 10 programs in this format and you have aquired 40 icons. add to that any movies, images and sounds you may have downloaded and it mounts up...

And the solution would be to

a) use a different default folder for downloads and confuse users as to where things go...

b) automatically delete downloads after a while and confuse users as to where things went...

c) ask the users after a certain amount of time whether he or she still needs some or other file and confuse them this way...

?

Back