What do U all Think - Final Verdict ?

I find the Expose feature in Panther quite compelling. Another plus for increased productivity. As for the hardware, the specs are impressive. I suppose the lower two models could be a bit less expensive.

As a sidenote, ZDNet posted a biased article about the event on their front page. They claimed that Apple tried to fudge the speed tests by not using Xeon processors with the fastest bus speeds. They fail to acknowledge that Xeon processors only come with 533 MHz front side bus, not 800 MHz. The P4 has the 800 MHz bus, but it is single processor only.

I am definitely impressed by the start. I would have thought that Apple would have more multi-processor configurations if for no other reason than to create monster machines, but I would guess that they are holding off until round II so they can justify the high prices.

The prices are definitely an issue for me. I need one additional computer and the prices for the G5's are simply too high. It's a great idea for Apple, let the early adopters pay for engineering and it helps with back-orders because if the G5's were priced at $999 and up, Apple would be backlogged for months!

I was looking at an eMac before and I will continue to look at the eMac unless the G4's drop in price to clear out the old stock.

I was disappointed that there was no upgrade for the 15" PowerBook. My Pismo is getting a bit old and creaky and I would love to replace it with a machine that reflects the updates seen with the 12 & 17" models. I was very intrigued with the rumors we might see a G5 in the 15". I am sad to see it didn't come out. But then again, if the G5 desktops are not shipping until August, that would give Apple two models that would have lower sales for a month and really, they need to sell boxes.

I am also interested to see how the Xserve line will look in the near future. I will need one in the next year and I personally feel the G4's are more than fast enough for my needs. But with dual G5's under the hood, it's going to be amazing.

I could go on, but I'm too occupied dreaming about dual G5's...

The cheese grater is just so ugly... So, so ugly... How can I face my PeeCee coworkers with a computer from the kitchen section of Crate&Barrel on my desk?

Well, I guess blowing them away with Panther and the speed of the system is a good start, but man that thing's ugly =)

Well if pc users find something wrong with every mac design it is a guarantee they will find more things wrong with this new design.
Personally, i love it. However, I will not purchase it because i don't need all that power. An iBook will do for me.
Raise your hand if you wanted to see the Power Mac G4 design again.

*Raise*

Though it's getting a bit older, I think it's a KILLER design. Mostly just improved versions of the B&W case, but man, they got it right.

Instead, they seem to have tossed all of their design concepts aside. I suppose it's a bit more functional for distributing/moving heat, but couldn't they have kept the grating and made the rest of the case look more than plain bent sheet metal?

Rip

*edit - I promise I'll make this my last post on this today. Really.*

er, today as in Monday, anyway ;)

we just bought a dual 1.25 g4 today for $1600 (80gig HD, 256mb, combo) NEW in box. These are a rare treat because they still boot os9, which incidentally was the purchasing factor. The $1600 was a great deal because as recently as yesterday, mac resellers that cater to musicians and studios were quoting $2500 for the same machine.

Panther

Things I like:
-exposé
-revamped mail
-labels
-new finder also look cool
-lightning fast pdf viewing (thank God)
-safari SDK (maybe help will actually be useable now)

Things I don't like:
-looks like there will be no more finder toolbar app placement

New ichat

Things I like:
-audio/video capabilities, no setup required to use it.
-have groups now
-auto-expanding text entry area.

Things I don't like:
-you need a mac to use A/V capabilities for now...hopefully IM adopts the code and that changes (would be a GODSEND for my gf and I)
-although there are "groups" you don't know which buddies belong to what group when viewing the buddy list, it desperately needs a group heading

New G5 Powermac

Things I like:
-spectacular speed, finally we are back on top of the benchmarks
-development for the future is already happening, faster G5's are in the works, no more moto foot dragging
-FW and USB ports on the front of the case

Things I don't like:
-looks like there is only one optical drive...seems like a step back to me
-price is still hard to swallow at first glance, I wish they would have kept the G4 pricing levels
-case looks strange to me, almost un-apple...maybe it looks better in person
-no more drop down door? that was one of the best features of the old tower...taking it out seems clumsy

Overall I'm excited about the news and wish my gf owned a mac. If she did, I would have gone to apple store today and bought two iSights.

I just like almost everything. Except Brushed Metal and labels. The rest is just, just, just incredibly cool. I'm a Mac geek and I'll be at the Apple Expo. I don't want any other computer.

One problem: Exposé is Quartz Extreme, does that mean I'm not getting it on my G3 ? I just need this thing.

The rest is amazing. FontBook is saving OSX. And I love the Longhorn parody.

g4 likes:
- "kick-ass" casing
- the door. it's not as bad as you might think, includes a latch for no-tools opening, and means you can actually get to the inside even if there isn't 2 foot of bench space to the right of the machine. and don't forget, Ive is a design genius, and if HE couldn't get a door into the G5 (with all the new cooling and space issues), then no-one can. Ive Ive, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can
- i've got a feeling it'll look unreal in real life - i mean, the speed holes may be more subtle, and the aluminum casing will look amazing.
- speed speed speed.
- price drops on g4s! the real good value is the single 1g. couple that with a 17" LCD and you have a machine that's expandable, faster, and CHEAPER than a 17" imac. BANG!
- price. compared with wintel at the top end, its CHEAP. AND take out the SD, and replace with a combo = $1799 G5 1.6. BANG!!!
- front ports
- etc etc etc

g5 don't likes:
- price. it would've been nice to see the price points the same as previous, but - eh, what'ya gunna do... the low end should really have come in at 1799, but see point above..
- availability. i've said it before and i'll say it again. I WANT ONE NOW!

oh and i also want itunes music store here, and 15" power books, and panther now ... and . . . . . . . ./trails off...

Originally posted by toast
One problem: Exposé is Quartz Extreme, does that mean I'm not getting it on my G3 ? I just need this thing.

wow...good point. I can't believe I didn't think of that. From the sounds of it, if it needs quartz extreme then us G3 users are outta luck. That's a big letdown for me. :(

Originally posted by Izzy
wow...good point. I can't believe I didn't think of that. From the sounds of it, if it needs quartz extreme then us G3 users are outta luck. That's a big letdown for me. :(

It may be a great time to upgrade. There should be some great deals around August, particularly if you don't mind buying used!

Rip

Yes, exactly what i thought. Good time to upgrade if still have a G3. G4-towers will be really cheap now. I think i will hold on to my eMac until i can buy a G5, hopefully this fall. the big prob is that i also have to ge a cool flat screen (with a computer that nice looking the screen has to be stylish!)

yeah, upgrade to a G5! It will be great to see a price drop on the current G4 towers, but the G5 is only (only, right?) $2999!!! That's pretty awesome for the machine you're getting.

Panther has me foaming at the mouth. The G5 is incredible. But unless you're a gadget freak with lots of money (or credit), or an extremely hardcore user, itseems like the G5 would not be used as it shoudl be.
That said, I WANT ONE! ;)

I was kinda dissapointed that there was no new Display announced (with a better stand than the tripod we have now), no 15" PB's up to standards with the 12 & 17's, and was hoping to see an Apple 2/3 button mouse with scroll wheel...(did the Switcher just come out in me???)

Dang it, I want Panther NOW!!

I wish I could, but right now it's just not possible. :(

I understand that I shouln't expect to use the latest and greatest features on a system that's around 3 years old. Reality is just disheartening sometimes...

The G5.
Ive: Essential & Efficient

That sums it up for the looks. I agree: this is Bauhaus style AND quality. Simple on the outside, complex on the inside. Apple.

The G5.
Mathematica: "The competition is not the PC's anymore, it's the high end Unix workstations, and it's faster even than most of them.

The G5.
Wow.

In the beginning was G4/867 and it was good!

Then came the G4/1GHz and it was better...

Now, G5 is almost here and I want one! :p :D

Seriously now :rolleyes: , at first when I saw G5 I said to myself: What a let down... Maybe it was because of Panther's let down! Dunno!

But after some time and especially after watching the G5 intro video that was it! After all I'm going to buy that G5 beast and the Dual one that is!

Still, Panther for me needs A LOT of tweaking and new features in order to hold itself against what M$ has in store for Windows LongHorn this fall... And I'm starting to think that maybe after all this is what Jobs wanted... Let M$ showcase whatever they want this fall for Windows and then beat the sh*t out of them! :p

Yep! That should be the case! Because the hardware will be out months before the OS and this isn't right! Of course it happened before but now it shouldn't happen! Hmmmm... Maybe Jobs wants to nail M$ for good! I'm still laughing about the "Panther VS LongHorn" video which Steve showed to the WWDC03 crowd! Amazing! He is ballzy! ;)

Boom! :D ;) :)

Originally posted by genghiscohen
...lovingly maintained, low-mileage 1998 Toyota Corolla...
:D

I've got a green corolla (same year). So let me know if they accept the trade, I'll do it too. :)

I was sicker than a dog in bed, Steve's keynote was the best thing for my spirits. Now I have to wait for Panther to be released. I'm counting the days. I will have it as soon as they ship.

It's a privilege to be a Mac user!!!

Back