What do you suspect the system requirements be for Call of Duty 2?

To give a perspective, here's the requirements for Doom III (COD2's requirements will surely be higher):
Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
1.5GHz PowerPC G4 processor (2GHz PowerPC G5 recommended)
512MB of RAM
64MB video card (128MB recommended): Radeon 9600, GeForce FX 5200, or higher
2GB hard disk space
DVD drive; Internet play requires broadband connection

Most likely it'll run, but your framerate will probably suffer greatly. The 9550 Mobility only has 32 MB of VRAM, more than enough to run your GUI, and even a second monitor, but even when it was new, the 9550 mobility wasn't exactly designed for advanced gaming.

Wish I could say something nicer, but then again you wouldn't be here if you didn't want an honest opinion.

call of duty 2 for the PC has lower requirements than doom 3 since it is less intense. So i suspoect it will be lower. I don't have that much money and this card is much better than a mac mini's card. I don't get to have quad powermacs and iMac G5s.

Phluxy said:
call of duty 2 for the PC has lower requirements than doom 3 since it is less intense. So i suspoect it will be lower. I don't have that much money and this card is much better than a mac mini's card. I don't get to have quad powermacs and iMac G5s.
Geeze, he was only giving you an honest answer -- that your iBook is probably not up to par to play Call of Duty 2 at a reasonable framerate. It ain't his fault the iBook is underpowered when it comes to games.

If you want a nice, pretty answer, I'm sure that Call of Duty 2 will run on my machine (specs in the sig), so it will most definitely run on your iBook. What your definition of "run" is may differ completely from mine, though. ;)

Also, your iBook's video card is not any better than the Mac mini computers with the Radeon 9200 with 64MB of RAM. It may be comparable to or slightly better than the older Mac mini models with 32MB of RAM, but to say that the 9550 32MB is "much" better than a 9200 with 64MB is a stretch.

I don't get to have quad PowerMac or iMac G5's either -- look at the machine in my sig. It's my main machine -- the one I do everything from leisurely surfing the web to professional production work on. You might want to check what other Mac users are happily using before bitching about the fact that you can't afford a G5 when you're doing much better than a lot of people with your crappy iBook.

I see that's a sore spot for you by the quote in your sig. ;)

touchy touchy, man. I'll have you know that I proudly run a refurb eMac 1.25 with a $15 second monitor i bought off ebay. Let's not bring poverty into this.

The mac mini doesn't have 64mb of vram. Some people got those models. But not all of them have the 64mb of vram. Call of Duty 2 requirements are less than Doom 3 requirements.

The mac mini is not a gaming machine either.

And while you are correct that COD2's requirements are lower than Doom3's, they're still likely higher than an iBook's.

But it doesn't sound like you're content to accept that as an answer, so by all means, buy it when it comes out and let us know how it works.

Phluxy said:
The mac mini doesn't have 64mb of vram. Some people got those models. But not all of them have the 64mb of vram. Call of Duty 2 requirements are less than Doom 3 requirements.
That's exactly why I referenced both the Mac mini with 32MB of video RAM and the Mac mini with 64MB of video RAM. Some people are still getting the 64MB models. As far as I'm concerned, that makes the Mac mini have both 32MB and 64MB of video RAM.

The Call of Duty 2 Macintosh requirements have not yet been released. Comparing them to PC requirements is moot. While PC requirements may or may not give an indication as to what the Mac requirements will be, comparing it to Doom 3 isn't quite accurate either.

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/cod2/ (click "System Requirements")

What it all boils down to is that the Macintosh system requirements for Call of Duty 2 have not been released by Aspyr yet, so anyone who says they know them for sure is merely speculating. Just about all you can do until Aspyr releases the final system requirements is take a guess and compare and contrast PC requirements as well as other 3-D games, which is what we've been doing in this thread.

If you want a definitive "yes" or "no" answer as to whether COD2 will run acceptably or even at all on your iBook, there isn't anyone in this entire world that can say (or will say) one way or the other for sure right now. All you can do is take a look at the PC requirements and look at other similar games for the Macintosh and make your best guess.

I vote that it'll run like crap on your iBook, and that's not being mean-hearted or spiteful or anything -- based on the PC requirements and other 3-D Macintosh games and their requirements, I just don't think you'll get an acceptable level of play on your iBook. You may be able to eek by at 800x600 with minimal effects and detail, but that's only speculation.

Phluxy said:
And shutup *** rich *****.
Phluxy, I strongly suggest that you reread the board rules immediately. Personal attacks on other members will not be tolerated here, regardless of the reason.

Consider yourself warned.

I'm hoping it runs OK on my iMac G5 1.8Ghz/1.5GB RAM gForce FX 5200, what do you think?

I've run Doom 3 and it's actually very good. So if COD2 requires the same, or a little less than Doom 3 I should be a happy camper!

As for the iBook. Have you played COD1 on your iBook? I've played it on one and it actually got quite choppy in parts (although this iBook had very little RAM at the time).

So, Phluxy, did you get the answer you were seeking from this thread or should we go around again?

You asked for opinions on how we think the game would run on your iBook... you couldn't possibly have been asking for a definitive answer, because nobody but the employees at Aspyr know, so it's all opinion and guessing. We said that it probably wouldn't run well. If you disagree, say so, and we all can have a pleasant debate about it.

As of now, it just seems like you're bitter about the fact that other members have computers that are more expensive or more powerful than yours. May I remind you that many, many members here are still using 1990s-era computers, and happily (even with Mac OSs predating OS 9), without complaining about or name-calling those who own faster/more expensive computers?

May I also remind you that your computer is more than twice as fast as my own? You're not the low-man-on-the-totem-pole here -- an iBook G4 at 1.33GHz is not a wimpy computer (not a gaming computer, in my opinion, either). It's much faster than a lot of Macintosh computers the volunteers here have.

If you wanna politely discuss this, by all means, do so, because that's what we wanna do. If you wanna name-call and be bitter about the computers of others, you will not receive a warm reception here -- that's gotta be pretty obvious, man.

Phluxy said:
well considering yours is a G3.

I'm really having a hard time telling if you're being sarcastic, or just being horribly horribly bitter at us for no good reason. I for one am FAR from rich. I'm willing to bet that many other members of this forum are also far from rich.

I'm not sure why you've chosen to dispense such harsh language at a group of people who are trying to help.

I can't speakfor the rest of the volunteers here, but I'm sorry if I've offended you in some way. Apart from that, please refrain from judging people you don't know from now on.

Well if you have a G3 ibook I can imagine it having trouble running COD1. But mine is a little newer. Sorry about me *****ing.

i have a dual G5 Powermac, with 2GB of ram, and a radeon 9600XT 128MB ram. it doom3 runs about 30fps on Ultra Settings at 1280x1024.

:D

i saved for 18 months to be able to get this, and i will have to run it into the ground.

Back