What Do You Want? Services Wise?

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
There are many services on the Internet that provide a host this and that, including emails, web space, etc. Some are pay, some are free.

As a Mac user, what do you feel is lacking or what internet service would be of value to you that you are missing or need?

Scott

This is probably asking for toooooooo much, but a site builder like geocities would be great. If you could do that that would be amazing. You could merge it with the hosting, and make a better equivalent to the .mac package.

1) iTunes rights management built into .mac. eg: if my computer crashes or i lose all my music my .mac account can tell me what songs i had and restore them back to my computer either free or for a restore fee (depending on how big the total download is).

.mac should also be a management tool to digital rights management.

2) better .mac server side features eg: PHP

3) cheaper .mac, 1/2 price.

Scott,

If you subscribe to MacOSX.com services, maybe a way for PM's to be SMS'ed to subscribers if they choose so? You could adjust their email services to do the same (with some personal settings, i.e. from specific email senders). Making it two way with cell phones SMS and it would be golden.

I'd like a decent amount of free web space from a service that WON'T turn my site into an assault on my visitors' senses. i.e., no flashy banners. Google text ads are fine, IMO, but anything more is just unacceptable.

I realize, of course, that it's not easy to offer free services (of any kind) that don't give way too much power to advertisers. Something's gotta pay the bills, after all. But it doesn't change the fact that that's what I'd like. 25-50MB of storage for whatever I want with a liberal amount of bandwidth (preferably unlimited, of course, but that's expecting too much) would be swell.

I'd also be willing to pay for such a service, although if I were paying I'd want at least 100MB, virtually unlimited bandwidth, and of course no ads. Actually, I was planning on signing up for macosx.com's web hosting, but now that's been suspended. :( It's hard to offer good services that are cheap (let alone free). Such is the nature of the world. *sigh*

Mikuro said:
I'd like a decent amount of free web space from a service that WON'T turn my site into an assault on my visitors' senses. i.e., no flashy banners. Google text ads are fine, IMO, but anything more is just unacceptable.

I realize, of course, that it's not easy to offer free services (of any kind) that don't give way too much power to advertisers. Something's gotta pay the bills, after all. But it doesn't change the fact that that's what I'd like. 25-50MB of storage for whatever I want with a liberal amount of bandwidth (preferably unlimited, of course, but that's expecting too much) would be swell.

I'd also be willing to pay for such a service, although if I were paying I'd want at least 100MB, virtually unlimited bandwidth, and of course no ads. Actually, I was planning on signing up for macosx.com's web hosting, but now that's been suspended. :( It's hard to offer good services that are cheap (let alone free). Such is the nature of the world. *sigh*

See http://www.urbanturban.no . It's ad-free, but limited to cultural and non-profit purposes. Our site is somewhat unfinished, but registration forms (except from MySQL) are up :)

.mac should be free to those who help apples market share by buying a mac. even if the services were cut a bit for this, it would at least be a free option.

i have no desire to buy .mac because all i can see that will benefit me is a .mac email address

Back