what firewire drive are you using?

lombarke

Registered
hey, i'm sure it's been asked a thousand times...but oddly enough, i searched and couldn't find anything before 2005...nothing of relevance at least. So I was considering getting a firewire hdd, but wanted recommendations on brands and stuff. I want it to be bootable, and around 120gb in size. Those are basically my only requirements. :)

I can recommend not getting a Porsche-branded LaCie drive... it's their "value" line of drives, and plenty of people have had serious problems with them (while a few others experience no problems at all, of course, but if quality matters, definitely stay away).

I can recommend the d2 line of LaCie drives, as well as building your own from a quality case and quality hard drive.

The bootability of the drive will depend largely on your computer, and not so much the firewire drive itself.

I can vote for laCie d2 the one i've been using for over a year proved to be reliable, and solid. Sometimes a little noise depending on the surface it's been put on but other than this detail Its just fine and proved useful after partioning to handle my iTunes and iPhoto Library, as well as backups.

I have the maxtor, 250Gb, it works fine and has survived various kicks (it often sits on the floor - and I forget) no problem.

I would recommend larger than 120Gb, specially at their current costs.

I have a 250 Gb firewire Porsch LACIE and very pleased with it.
There are numerous models of LACIE porsch design.(capacity, usb .firewire...)
Mine works great with the apple mini.

thank you all for your replies. i've heard WD and Seagate are pretty good, as well?

the drive being bootable is a requirement. I've got a 15" pb, 1.67ghz...so it's fairly new and shouldn't have a problem. But if I do build my own from a good case and internal hdd, what should I look for in terms of a firewire case that will allow booting? Is there a certain chipset number that would identify it as being bootable?

I'm with the others, the Lacie D2s are excellent drives. Seagate makes a nice external, but the Lacies can usually be had for the same price or slightly less if you search the net a bit.

Stay away from the Lacie Porsche versions, as well as anything made by Maxtor. The WD drives...never personally used their externals, but if I had to choose between one of those (WD) and the Seagate...then I'd buy the Seagate. That's the same if I was buying an internal drive for a computer.

I am using a Western Digital with no problem at all. There is a trick - if you get the one with USB and Firewire - there is an additional USB port in front. It will not work unless you have the drive connected via USB.

Back