What is a 10-clients?

webexplorer

Registered
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx

I read about the Mac OS X Server. What a 10-clients mean to you? I do not understand it.

Does it mean that:

(1) it allows up to 10 employees to have their own account to access the server software?

(2) it allows up to 10 people (customers) to open their own account.

(3) it runs up to 10 different server-computers.

I think that it is pretty confusing for anyone to understand what the 10-clients really mean.

Number 1. Or 2? Definitely not 3. The "clients" are computer connected to the server directly, making use of the server's services. I'm not sure what you mean by the second point, so I'd go with 1.

Yep -- it's number 1. A "10-client" license will allow you to have 10 "client" machines connect to the server at a time (you can have as many machines as you want connect to the server, but only 10 simultaneous connections are allowed).

ahh, Thanks. Actually, I was thinking of number 3.

May I ask you a different question?

I do not see a database that works with Dreamweaver MX 2004 so the only way for a database to connect is a Mac OS X server. Is that correct?

I have a Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I don't know how to connect a database. Actually, I have never tried to create something for the database on MX 2004 (?).

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Yep -- it's number 1. A "10-client" license will allow you to have 10 "client" machines connect to the server at a time (you can have as many machines as you want connect to the server, but only 10 simultaneous connections are allowed).

Remember, this applies to file sharing services only. :)

So, for web services, it's all clear for any use, right? (I never quite bothered with the 10-client version's restrictions...)

Historically the user licensing has been used only to restrict file sharing services. For example, you could use a 10 client license/cluster node Xserve to host an Open Directory with 100 users or so forth. :)

webexplorer said:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx

I read about the Mac OS X Server. What a 10-clients mean to you? I do not understand it.

Does it mean that:

(1) it allows up to 10 employees to have their own account to access the server software?

(2) it allows up to 10 people (customers) to open their own account.

(3) it runs up to 10 different server-computers.

I think that it is pretty confusing for anyone to understand what the 10-clients really mean.

It allows 10 connections to the server at once. This is only sensable in case a limit has any meaning (e.g. for DNS a limit is useless). This will apply at least for File Sharing and IMAP (and I think POP3 members also).

Buy the unlimited edition, a much better choice. Good luck, Kees

webexplorer said:
ahh, Thanks. Actually, I was thinking of number 3.

May I ask you a different question?

I do not see a database that works with Dreamweaver MX 2004 so the only way for a database to connect is a Mac OS X server. Is that correct?

I have a Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I don't know how to connect a database. Actually, I have never tried to create something for the database on MX 2004 (?).
"Database" could be one of any number of things -- a mySQL database, a PostgreSQL database, etc.

Mac OS X Server is not required to run a database that Dreamweaver can connect to -- although a database is included with Mac OS X Server (mySQL).

From the Apple store description:

Mac OS X Server is available in 10-client and Unlimited-client editions to meet the needs of your organization. Client restrictions apply only to simultaneous file sharing services for Mac and PC clients.

scruffy said:
From the Apple store description:

Mac OS X Server is available in 10-client and Unlimited-client editions to meet the needs of your organization. Client restrictions apply only to simultaneous file sharing services for Mac and PC clients.

That sounds strangely familiar from somewhere.... ;)

Michael

I think he's referring to CALs (client-access licenses) that are required when accessing a Windows server from any client computer accessing it (this also refers to non-MS computers). What he fails to mention is that you are REQUIRED to have a CAL for each client machine if it's accessing a Windows server for ANYTHING (but it's usually related to accessing the server for file sharing purposes). With regard to OS X server, an unlimited number of clients can access it in general, but for filesharing it's limited to 10 clients at the same time (this is what I'm getting from all of your descriptions). Apple still comes out smelling like roses with their scenario.

fryke said:
What do you mean by that, Go3iverson?

I meant that a couple of us had stated the same thing earlier in the thread, that's all. The poster probably didn't see it because it was referenced on page one, maybe. :)

Good points about open directory. But you will have to configure your xserve for max local and web connections. I have an unlimited license but my understand is 5 web user and 5 local user and youve got 10. However configured as 10 local users and 5 max web users although it sounds hypocritical if thats how you spell it. Configuration that allows 5 web users doesnt subtract from the license until a connection is made whether it is a local connection or a web connection, basically just allowing ten local users to be connected if necessary but probably will reject the web connection request.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
"Database" could be one of any number of things -- a mySQL database, a PostgreSQL database, etc.

Mac OS X Server is not required to run a database that Dreamweaver can connect to -- although a database is included with Mac OS X Server (mySQL).

O.K. Can you please show me how can I connect a database and Dreamweaver MX 2004? (Some of your examples. Any database software as long as I see something on Dreamweaver.)

webexplorer said:
O.K. Can you please show me how can I connect a database and Dreamweaver MX 2004? (Some of your examples. Any database software as long as I see something on Dreamweaver.)

I use a combination of the built-in Apache server, mySQL 5 (administered through phpMyAdmin), and php 5 (but the built-in php 4 is just fine) technologies. I use Dreamweaver to build my sites.

mySQL: http://www.mysql.com (They've got native install packages for Mac OS X)
php 5: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/
phpMyAdmin: http://www.phpmyadmin.net

Once you've correctly installed, set up and secured mySQL, install php 5. Then, get phpMyAdmin set up. Use it to create your database(s). Then, configure Dreamweaver's Sites correctly for your site, then connect with the Database Connections options in Dreamweaver.

It's a lengthy but simple process, and once you have it set up, it works well. I would recommend installing those packages in that particular order -- each package's documentation is verbose in how to set it up. Posting a how-to on getting a database set up starting from scratch would be quite lengthy. Start with mySQL, and make sure it's configured as the documentation states (e.g., you can start and stop the mySQL server and you've secured the root/admin user). If you've got problems with that portion, come back and we'll get you on the right track... then we'll do php and phpMyAdmin, and so forth.

Here is a rather old how-to on getting Dreamweaver talking to a mySQL database:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html

I wouldn't follow those explicit steps, since that how-to was written for Mac OS X 10.2 and many things have changes since then -- those explicit instructions may not even work. But, it is a decent, basic outline of what you would like to do -- it may be advantageous to read over that before beginning.

I hope that helps!

Back