What is "apple-scc-20120126-112417"?

Nick Naym

Registered
I just discovered this in my Login Items. It's "Kind" is "Unknown," and when I right-click on "Reveal in Finder," nothing happens. Besides the obvious date reference (20120126), I haven't a clue what it's all about.

I just discovered this in my Login Items. It's "Kind" is "Unknown," and when I right-click on "Reveal in Finder," nothing happens. Besides the obvious date reference (20120126), I haven't a clue what it's all about.

First delete it. Then tell us what version of OS X you are running plus what Mac you are using! Plus download the program DNSChanger Removal Tool and run it to see if you got this. Next if you are Lion run the Software Update to get the latest protection to the latest Trojan. Do all this to be safe.

Then go to the web site OpenDNS and use this free service. This instructional video will show you how to control your DNS to block known Trojan hosting sites as well as others.

I have been using this service for over three years and it is very fast and I block known bad sites. It is a very reliable service and it lets you control your own DNS very easily. You will really like this service since the have servers all over the western world and the Indian Ocean countries covered.

First delete it.

Before I do anything, I think it would be helpful if I provide some additional information (see below).

Then tell us what version of OS X you are running plus what Mac you are using!

I'm on an iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Core i3, 4GB RAM) with a 1TB HDD, running OS X (10.6.8). (I'd like to include this info in a signature, but can't figure out how to do that.)

OK. Here's the additional info: I was rather overdue for a Software Update — I had been putting it off because I was having bizarre operational problems that resulted in difficulty booting/rebooting (required for the Update) and I absolutely needed to be online during this period. So I let the machine run 24X7. I realized it'd get to the point that I couldn't put it off any longer, because the operational problems were getting worse. Last week "Catch-22" finally caught up with me: The machine froze, and I had to shutdown and reboot via the power button. Once that happened, I did the Update, and was notified that the Flashback trojan was found — and deleted — during the Update. The operational problems have since abated quite a lot, and I've rebooted several times since then with no problem (though I'm still reluctant to shut the Mac down at the end of the day). It struck me that the "apple-scc-20120126-112417" file might be something that the trojan installed back in January (the "20120126" seemed to suggest Jan 26) and remained on my machine through my previous Update (which was in February). But I simply don't know. I also don't know why I can't find it via the Finder.

Is any of this helpful? Does it suggest a different/modified course of action?

Last edited:
Any chance it could be e.g. SecureClient?
That does install something called scc, and I would imagine it being in the login items.

I have no idea what SecureClient is...though it sounds like firewall software of some kind that you need to download and install. The only third-party software I use that even remotely falls into the firewall-type category is Little Snitch.

SecureClient and other tunneling software would (usually) only be installed when they are needed; in yours it does indeed look like the trojan instead.

Little Snitch is good to have (and when it's doing all the monitoring of outbound and inbound traffic, you're good). Whatever any suspicious software would want to do, it wouldn't get past you (or LS).

SecureClient and other tunneling software would (usually) only be installed when they are needed; in yours it does indeed look like the trojan instead.

Little Snitch is good to have (and when it's doing all the monitoring of outbound and inbound traffic, you're good). Whatever any suspicious software would want to do, it wouldn't get past you (or LS).

I still don't quite understand what SecureClient is...though your "tunneling software" reference seems to indicate it's an encapsulation application of some kind. If so, I assume it has a "legitimate" purpose, but, from what you're saying, it sounds like it can be used to create a trojan as well.

First delete it. Then tell us what version of OS X you are running plus what Mac you are using! Plus download the program DNSChanger Removal Tool and run it to see if you got this. Next if you are Lion run the Software Update to get the latest protection to the latest Trojan. Do all this to be safe.

Then go to the web site OpenDNS and use this free service. This instructional video will show you how to control your DNS to block known Trojan hosting sites as well as others.

I have been using this service for over three years and it is very fast and I block known bad sites. It is a very reliable service and it lets you control your own DNS very easily. You will really like this service since the have servers all over the western world and the Indian Ocean countries covered.

Satcomer, your recommendations certainly sound like a thorough prescription, but I'd really like to understand what each of them is designed to accomplish. And I remain totally perplexed why "apple-scc-20120126-112417" in the Login Items is listed as an "Unknown," and why right-clicking on it to "Reveal in Finder" doesn't work...nor why I can't find it when I search my system for it.

Back