What is fink??

flacochala

I`m in!!
my question is simple... i need to know what is fink.. i downloaded it, but i dont really know what is it for???.. thanksss

sourceforge's definition: "Fink is an attempt to bring the full world of Unix Open Source software to Darwin and Mac OS X. Packages are downloaded and built automatically and installed into a tree managed by dpkg."

= you can build unix apps from source easier with fink than 100 % manually in terminal. :)

What you first need bevor you can use fink is an installation of Apples X11. Than you just need to install Fink and can start using the Fink Commander to build and/or install packages.

All these packages are used from inside Apples X11 environment. So if you're not comfortable with Unix a little bit than Fink is rather useless for you.

But if you see what's possible with it you never wanne miss X11 and Fin again :)

For example you can play games like Scorched3D using this. :D

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

For this you have to install X11, than Fink and after this the MacOS X Scorched3D package.

One of the most useful Fink apps I've found actually is "wtf" (for defining 'internet acronyms' :p ) which is terminal based.

And like Giaguara said you can not only build apps without using 20 terminal commands, but keep them up to date too, relatively automatically. The only drawback is that Fink packages tend to lag behind the "real" latest release.

When you install software on Mac (or PC) normally, you just drag & drop your software or run a specific installer.

When you install software in UNIX, quite often this software uses another software that uses another software that uses another software... and each software needs to setup different variables... and each software exists in several more or less compatible versions... fink accesses databases of software descriptions to validate all relations between all pieces of software necessary for the software you want to install and does all the necessary installations and setup for you.

Back