What is the most popular Hard Disk Name?

Which do you Have?

• Mac HD

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Macintosh HD

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Joe HD (With your name where Joe is)

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Mac OS Drive or Mac OS X Drive

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 104 64.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just noticed I spelled Cache wrong, lol, anyway...

I'm looking for a good firewire drive, any suggestions? I heard I can take a regual hard drive and get an adapter for use with firewire, how good is that? If it is good, then I will use this crappy Western Digital that came with my G4 and purchase another Maxtor drive.

My iBook's HD name is........ iBook
My iMac's HD name is.......... iMac
Really boring.
In my B&W G3 tower I have 2 HD's, and one is partitioned into two drives, so my system drive is called "Root", my swap drive is called "Swap" and my applications/documents/storage drive is called "Crap". Also not too creative.
My LC III running NetBSD...well there isn't really a name for the drive...heh
I used to get more creative but eventually it got annoying so I stopped...short, to-the-point names are my friend now, especially when using Terminal in OS X!

I have always named my hard drives after the code name of the computer I am on. On my Quicksilver I have the following three drives:

Quicksilver HD (main sucker that came with the computer)
Quicksilver HD Classic (everything classic related is on this drive, haven't launched classic in a couple months :D )
Quicksilver HD Beta (being on the beta team for apple, i need a place to install potentially "unstable" software)

A little boring you might say, but, I thought it was better then Macintosh HD :)

Albert

Hubby and I have the network residents named after the Addams family.

My iMac - Morticia
My PDA - Wednesday
His iMac - Gomez
His PDA - Pugsley
iBook - Lurch
iPod - Thing
Bro's Mac - Uncle Fester
Networked Printers - Cousin Itt, Grandmama

Urban-

I use a firewire HD enclosure from OWC.com and havent had any problems with it.

It can hold any 5.25" ide device. I have a 40 gig IBM in there with most of my mp3's on it.

It has 2 firewire ports on the back, one to go to the computer, and another for daisy chaining purposes.

It cost around 80 bucks I think. Not bad considering I can just upgrade the drive any time I please. I think the unit I bought had a 120gb limit, but im sure that will be upgraded in the future.

Anyway, good luck.

At my office, 10 years ago we started with Kramer, as the name of our server, next came George, Elaine..., at 13 machines, we still don't have a Jerry!

(it actually works well when logging on to a machine - funny how employees seem to have the traits of the machines...)

My iMacs: Macintosh HD
- The computer name is: Megatron

My Desktop G3: Macintosh HD
Second Harddisk: LaserBeak HD
- The computer name is: StarScream

*Spot the naming trend yet?*

My Work G4: Chewy HD
external HD: Bigblue (Because is big and blue)
- The computer name is: UltraMagnus

Back when I used four partitions, they were:
Darwin (boot drive for OS X)
Rhesus (backup/emergency OS X drive)
Itchy (files, etc.)
Scratchy (music & swap)

Now that I'm on three partitions:
Larry (2gb boot drive)
Daryl (2gb swap & classic drive)
Darryl (everything else)

Back in the very old days when my entire digital world resided on a pair of 1gb dirves, they were the Telefunken’ U-47 and the One Gigabyte Green Rosette. (Zappa references)

Currently my G4 box is called Leviathan and thus my hard disk is called Leviathan HD. Very creative.

My old 9500 with a 9gig was partitioned into three volumes called Melchior, Balthazar and Gaspar. :)

My 2¢

J.

One of my partitions is named "stuff", along with the million or so folders with stuff in the name.

To no one in particular...you know it's a hard drive and yet feel the need for "HD" in the name...just curious, why? :D

I've got a blue & white G3 case so I call it "Blue Meanie" with Blue Meanie X"Blue Meanie 9, and Blue Meanie Data.

Then I have another G3/433 that has Calvin and Hobbes.

My hard drives are far more creative:

8 Gig HD
4 Gig SCA
4 Gig ATA
20 Gig HD
20 Gig BU

Boy, I can't wait until terabyte drives. Oh the possibilities....

By the way here's another reason UNIX sucks. We're used to changing our volume names willy nilly and having everything 'just work'. Well no more. If you change non-root volume names you end up breaking any reference to a file by path. For example symlinks or if you're running TextEdit which is opening a file on a non-root volume and change that volume's name, it will lose track of that file and error. Wow, what a piece of poop.

The same is true with changing file names and folder names.

I haven't had any of the naming broken-links problems, and I have changed HD names and configs a lot. Perhaps because I'm talking to my network by IP address and not broadcast name. And I've renamed my hard disks multiple times in a single day and not one broken link.

weird.

At work (indigo iMac 450 running Mac OS X)

X_Part (Spongebob Squarepants icon)
9_Part (Patrick)
Data_Part (Gary)

--Pete

Nothing too original but I name all my drives after Tolkien characters, and the computers after places.

Main System : Gandalf
Ironically Gandalf died this past week as he was one of the crappy IBM GXP drives. When I get the new 60gb seagate replacement i'll have to name him Mithrandir or something else to refer to Gandalf without reusing the name exaclty. Gandalf the white, or multicolored or whatever he returns as would simply be too long for a HD name.

Small Diagnostic Drive/OS9: Gimli
Large Hulking 100gb Music/Movies: Balrog
Mac SE HD: Frodo

Ipod: Iarwain / Bombadil
Referring ot the free musical nature that Tom Bombadil certainly was in the books.

I truthfully haven't gotten aroudn to naming the computers definitely as only having two computers doesn't really necessitate a naming convention, not ot mnetion the SE is more of a paperweight I bought for kicks.

Back