What is your favourite word in the Americano/English language?

What does your signature mean anyway? Has a bit of German in it, that's all I could notice...
Yes, I got my German speaking father on to this and he couldn't quite make it out. Of course, you could keep it a mystery, which will add a little fission of excitment to this thread ;).

However, what is the providence of your handle, Lurk?

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

I made out: When is the something something and something? Yes!.. the beerdog(?) or something something.

As you can probably tell I speak fluent German..:rolleyes:

My favourite word is cushty. I'm not sure if it features in the dictionary, probably not but I've loved the word ever since I first heard it used on Only Fools And Horses years ago.

(And I hope you were just joking about the lack of cultural education thing; I don't really see where this would fit into "Important European History" ;))

That is the problem with kids these days they just don't understand the touchstones of their culture!! Now if they just spent some time in the... comfy chair!!! Then maybe they would appreciate what their elders have to say. ;)

[In all honesty I put that in there to make a joke in the word associate thread, alas it went unnoticed at which point I had become kind of fond of it myself.]

flummox is a nice one, as is lummox ......"You've got to use simple words otherwise you'll flummox that pathetic lummox standing over there."

And speaking even more of German, why does everyone use the word Angst, when the Swedish ångest expresses so much more angst?

And speaking even more of German, why does everyone use the word Angst, when the Swedish ångest expresses so much more angst?
Sounds like the Swedish pronounce it with more conviction.

P.S. I am currently learning German. I never thought of it as an attractive language (let's face it, it can sound harsh), but once you start speaking it, it sort of flows nicely.

It's pronounced ONG-est, with the stress on the first syllable, which means that you can put so much more expression into it, where as Angst, with just one syllable is too flat and measured to express what is is supposed to describe.

I did German for a year at school, but their convoluted grammar and rigid sentence structure just didn't appeal to me and stifled my ability to express myself. I didn't feel that it flowed at all – way too stilted.

Vive la France!

Well, if "foreign" words in english usage are fair play, then Weltschmertz (world weariness) is one that tickles my fancy.
Anyway, I'm feeling rather world weary right now, so I think I'll go blow my f*ckin' brains out. See ya later.

Mobius Rex. If you blow your brains out, how can we see you later? Take five. Ciao....oops foreign word again!

Mobius Rex. If you blow your brains out, how can we see you later?

Well, this ":cool: cat" has most of his nine lives still intact.;)

carbuncle is amusing. "Oh, Christ, I've got a
carbuncle on my left buttock!

Flibbertigibbet seams particularly appealing today, don't know why though. It just has a nice rhythm I guess.

Floccinaucinihilipilification (an instance of judging something to be worthless or trivial).

Of course it's not my favourite word, but it's damn more interesting than 'antidisestablishmentarianism', which is widely thought to be the longest word in the English dictionary.

In fact 'floccinaucinihilipilification' is one letter longer.

I think angst means afraidness or something similar, while ångest means dread(a kind of harder worry, you know what i mean..)

sorry for dual post

Back