What is your screen size?

I was wondering what people had for a monitor size and their screen resolution. I have a Gateway VX900 19in. set to 1152x870. This seems to work well with this monitor. Sometimes I change it back to 1024x768.

So what do you have?

EDIT: The only little problem I have in 1152x870 is that if you look close you can see little lines moving down the screen. This dosent happen in 1024x768.

I have a 12" Powerbook with a resolution of 1024x768. Seems to work fine for what I use it for (coding, and watching DVDs).

In the office, I hook up my Powerbook to a 17" CRT monitor, that runs at 1024x768 too. I've tried running it at higher resolutions (1600x1200) but the refresh rate was too low, it caused me headaches.

My desktop machine runs a 15" TFT that also uses 1024x768, because that is the native resolution that TFT supports.

You can see a pattern emerging :).

I've got the 22" Cinnie at 1600x1200 I believe. Love it. Thought I'd never want another monitor. And then I saw the 30" at the store. OMFG!

Must…have…the…thirty…inch…

Seriously, it was absolutely amazing. I will definitely be saving my pennies for that bad boy.

Built-in eMac monitor @ 1280x960. I can't stand the lower res's, probly cause I'm a photographer, and can't stand seeing my pictures with diagonal lines all over them.

20" Aluminium Cinema Display @ 1680x1050 via DVI

Also, a 17" Studio Display CRT via ADC (no longer connected to G4, as it's a server now)

Work is a 15" IBM ThinkVision LCD @ 1024x768 @ 60Hz (above 60 and it looks blurry) via VGA

17in applevision on macinstine doing 1280*1024@75hz and my winxp box has a futura 17in at 1280*1024@60hz. funny how the old apple can push better refresh then this 3yr old monitor, plus the futura is going, sometimes i only get the bottom half of the screen. kinda hard to read posts that way. i wonder, will the applevision work on win xp w/out the adb plugged in, or for that matter, will it work on the da 466 g4 i'll be getting next week? (wowho, finialy getting a native g4, i won't know what to do with myself :D )

Have to have my BSD systems set to 1600x1200. Gotta have all that space on the screen. 1024x768 on my iBook though (since it won't go any higher :rolleyes: ).

riccbhard: the strange lines you're seeing in 1152*870 are a common problem with some ATi graphics cards and VGA connections. It seems that somehow the VGA signal is too low-power. Happens for me when I connect a monitor externally to my PowerBook at too high resolutions. Sadly, there doesn't seem a way around this but getting a DVI.

I use a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 93SB tube @ 1280x1024 as my main monitor and a 17" Head tube @ 1024x768 as a secondary monitor where I keep all my application palettes, etc.

I could never go back to a single-monitor setup, and I just SO want to have a dual Apple 30" LCD setup, but as it takes 2 graphics cards to run each 30" Cinema Display – 1 for the top half and 1 for the bottom half, that wouldn't leave me a huge amount of slottage in my G5. But I can live with that! :rolleyes:

CaptainQuark, it doesn't need two, it just needs a single dual-link card.

Personally on the PowerBook - 1280*854 screenspanning with a 17" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200GS at 1600*1200

I seem to remember, from watching the online keynote speech by Steve Jobs some months ago, that it needed two. But then again, I was that busy drooling over the monitor itself that I may have missed the technicalities of it all – or maybe Apple's come up with a card that can handle it.

Whatever – apologies for causing alarm and despondency, in that case. :eek:

Main monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060U (shared by both my Mac & PC) running 1920 x 1440 and 2 Diamond View pallette monitors (one for my Mac and one for my PC) running 1152 x 870. Both give a mostly square aspect.

The Diamond Views are fuzzy but I get by. The Diamond Pro is superbly sharp in Panther (even at top resoluton of 2048 x 1536), but my PC running Windows 2000 renders everything with a grey shadow, most annoying.

I am curious at all you guys with LCD monitors. Do you do any PhotoShop work? If so how do you manage the color variation with changed viewing angles?

well. firstly. no i don't use PS. but i am a freak for high-quality, accurate equipment. i have no problems with my 20". it delivers the same beautiful crisp bright colours from pretty much any angle. it gets darker at very tight angles but even from a point almost in line with the face of the screen (next to it effectively) i can still see the picture clearly, the colours just aren't quite right.

secondly. the 30" LCD does NOT require two video cards. it requires a dual-link DVI interface. there are two mac cards with this: GeForce 6800 and ATi X800. The GeForce (just like mine :) ) has TWO DUAL LINK dvi ports.
apple.com said:
Driving Force
The 30-inch Cinema HD Display is so big, it requires the next level of graphics technology. The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card for the Power Mac G5 delivers, with the most advanced graphics engines available for Mac. This card includes dual-link DVI connectors to deliver up to 2560 by 1600 resolution over each port. Even better, with two connectors, or Dual dual-link (DDL), you can drive two 30-inch displays, for the ultimate creative canvas. Apple offers this card as a built to order option and as a standalone kit.

The ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB of DDR SDRAM from the 15'' and 17'' powerbooks also support dual-link DVI functionality.

iMac G5 17" : 1440 x 900 (native)

The widescreen is really cool for DVDs - I only have about 1 cm of black bars at each end of the screen. Totally awesome.

Back