What keeps you from using OS X exclusively

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
I'm now only using OS 9 (and I have to boot - Classic doesn't work right) for the TWAIN Scanner of mine through Photoshop 6.

I have 7, but when I scan, i have to reboot. As soon as Epson have OS X drivers, I'll never use OS 9.

But I'll never delete as you never know when you'll want it....

and also a little bit of money, to pay for the Adobe and MM suits. waiting for some special offers...

I have the Epson Scan To File app and Photoshop 7... can't scan directly from PS7 but the Scan To File works just fine. So it's an extra step - beats booting into OS9! :D

But I doubt I'll ever get rid of OS9, since a few programs that have Carbonized patches still need the original Classic installer to install the program in the first place (Acrobat 5, Unreal Tournament & Diablo II) :D

Games! Everything else works perfect. I also have an epson scanner. Go to version tracker and get Vuescan. It doesnt work through photoshop but it will scan in X and you can save and open it in PS

Nothing at all is stopping me from running OS X exclusively! Photoshop 7.0 is just like I predicted (sorry about the gloating) it would be--the absolute BEST Carbonization I know of. They went so far as to use InDesin (although the code base was much newer) and Illustrator as guinea pigs. It's all X from here on out.

I'm still waiting for FireWorks! What the heck is taking so long MM?!?!?

The other app that sends me to classic is RealPlayer. I find this expecially galling since in for me Real Player has the distinction of being the absolutely most annoying and shitty software I hate to use! grrrr! :mad:

nothings stopping me from using osx only!

theres plenty stopping me from being productive though... im hand coding html and learning to use the gimp until dreamweaver comes out and i bite the bullet for ps7. the lack of games is kind of a plus though

I'm waiting for MOTU to finish Digital Performer for OS X, as well as some updates from Propellerheads and Native Instruments (not sure if I heard any news from NI though). I can be patient though... Core Audio riggity rocks, not to mention singular storehouses for plugins...

mmm... pro audio on osx.

I'm waiting on the Photoshop 7 upgrade I ordered...that is the last thing standing between all my old OS 9 files and the trash...I can hardly wait to get rid of all that old crap. Opening classic just for PS is such a pain.

Dear All,

Applications that I still use in MacOS 9 are:-

Quark XPress
Real Player

Money is no problem as work buys me everything that I want. Glad to hear that Dreamweaver MX has be announced. Glad that PhotoShop 7 has made it to the shelfs. Adobe Indesign 2 on MacOS X should be avoided at all costs! Check out the Adobe Forum for bug lists, brings a tear to the eye.

My two cents worth
:rolleyes:

Here is a list of apps that I do have already in MacOS X:

Final Cut Pro 3
DVD Studio Pro 1.5
Virtual PC 5.0.2
PhotoShop 7
Illustrutor 10
Acrobat 5.0.5
Office X
FileMaker Pro 5.5
Cleaner 5.1.1
FreeHand 10
Toast 5.1.3

Next on the shopping list for MacOS X:
Dreamweaver MX
Flash MX

Final Cut Pro 3 is much slower in X than 9. DVD Studio Pro 1.5 is about the same speed. Illustrator is a snails pace, PhotoShop is alright. Office X is a God send and Cleaner 5.1.1 doesn't support RealNetworks Media yet.
Toast is the dogs bolloxs.

My two cents worth and I expect change.:rolleyes:

I still use Coaster in OS 9 to record automatically via Applescript. Coaster is not migrating to OS X. As far as I know the few apps which can record in X are not scriptable. Besides, there is no control of the Griffin iMic in X yet.

Scanning, scanning, scanning...I have to use Photoshop 6 to scan using my Stylus Scan 2500, but I can do it without having to reboot. If it wasn't for this I'd always be in OSX. As it is I'm doing a lot less scanning so it really isn't an issue.

I'm thinking that even if I'd get scanning under OSX there is always some other little thing that would require me to use OS9...realplayer, enhanced CD's, etc...

It's painful going back to 9...I'll never be the same after OSX :p

Nothing keeps me from using OS X exclusively. When I made the conversion a little over a month ago, on my old iMac DV+, I got my applcations and data ready, then got FCP3 for OS X to replace Premiere (woah! :) and have made do with the other tools I could either buy or find on the internet.

I have never run both of them :)

Nothing is keeping me from using OSX excusively. I have a old upgraded PPC 7600 that was my first Mac. I froze the OS at V9.1 and still like to use it to surf the web because of the ram disk. But I find myself using my G4/450/AGP more and more. I like a challenge and I am starting to feel comfortable with OSX and some of the more useful Applications.

USB Printer Sharing. However rather than use OS9 on my iBook, I drop off PDFs into an area on my iMac (running OS9 exclusively) and then run upstairs and print. I used to have classic adobe to print from on my toolbar in OSX but I found that OS9 network settings got in the way of my peer to peer connections using OSX for some reason.

R.

Well, Cubase is getting a release for OS X soon. Cubase SX. Check out www.steinberg.de (german with link to english) or www.cubase.net for info.

For me, it's the fact that Steinberg seems to REFUSE to make an OS X version of Cubasis! I had to buy the OS 9 version last weekend because i couldnt wait any longer.

AND I can't even get the damn MIDI box to work. It's a midisports 1x1. When it sscans for it it doesn't find anything, got any ideas how to fix this?

oh, and my canoscan won't work unless classic is running, although my Epson printer works fine in OS X with only OS 9 drivers.

Back