What kind of laptop should I buy for college?

Zacharaganane

Registered
I am going to be a freshman this year in college and I need a Windows laptop; I prefer Windows Vista. I am going to study Business Technology in college, so I will be doing a lot of stuff with word processing and software. I was thinking of either HP or Toshiba. My friend told me to get a Toshiba because they're better quality and they last longer than an HP. I want a laptop that is portable, good quality, good performance, and good
customer service. Some things that aren't as important, but should matter also is price, screen size, and battery life. I want to get it from Best Buy and I found some possibilities for laptops that I want to get:

I am going to assume this is a serious question and not a wind up. I say this as you've posted on an Apple Mac site.

I can't suggest the best Windows laptop to buy as I am not familiar with whats on the market. Except to say that going for the cheapest is not a wise option as the components that make up the laptop may well be very flaky.

Given that you have stepped though the magic wardrobe and have entered Appleland, one option would be for you to buy a MacBook. With this you have the option of Apple's excellent operating system, plus the benefit of Bootcamp with which you can also install Vista.

Given that Apple do a very good deal for students, this may be an excellent option for you.

I agree: a MacBook with with the student deal would be the best deal. (I am not really neutral ;-)). You can run Windows on it too if you want, as a virtual machine or by rebooting your MacBook (Bootcamp).

I have had several Windows PC and Apple Macbooks over the years and I prefer the Apple hardware. Especially the battery lifetime when running Mac OSX is very impressive and the ease of use are the main reasons for me to go for an Apple.

I just so happen to work at a computer repair shop in a college where we offer free repairs to students so I've seen my fair share of laptop brands and their many problems. Personally, I would never get a Toshiba. I've never really seen anything special about them. At the moment it seems that Dell offers the best price and for that price has a fairly durable laptop. Plus Dell has always offered great support for their products, often replacing laptops that have died. I'd say HP is somewhere around Dell, but I think Dell laptops look cooler than HP ones, other than that I think the choice would be up to you. If your into spending big bucks for power, then I would buy a Sony Vaio laptop, they seem to be the best out of the lot with good designs, durable parts, good support, and most of with blu-ray now.

Of course in the end, I would always go for a Mac because of course they're the best brand out there! Not to mention they just came out with Thunderbolt which seems pretty sick!

Some good info, I too am familiar with Dell's & I like them as well. As far as HP's I really don't like how they part the drives for the recovery. Plus I like how Dell's gives you an install disk. So you could really save a few bucks by going with a PC & still throw in a copy of Office07

I just so happen to work at a computer repair shop in a college where we offer free repairs to students so I've seen my fair share of laptop brands and their many problems. Personally, I would never get a Toshiba. I've never really seen anything special about them. At the moment it seems that Dell offers the best price and for that price has a fairly durable laptop. Plus Dell has always offered great support for their products, often replacing laptops that have died. I'd say HP is somewhere around Dell, but I think Dell laptops look cooler than HP ones, other than that I think the choice would be up to you. If your into spending big bucks for power, then I would buy a Sony Vaio laptop, they seem to be the best out of the lot with good designs, durable parts, good support, and most of with blu-ray now.

Of course in the end, I would always go for a Mac because of course they're the best brand out there! Not to mention they just came out with Thunderbolt which seems pretty sick!

Back