What kinds of computers have you owned?

Ricky

Registered
This should be a trip through time. ;) List all of the computers you've ever owned, including PC's if applicable. Here's my history of my owned computers...

Mac Plus (Named "Slowpoke") - Technically it wasn't a Mac Plus, but a 512k upgraded to Mac Plus stats. It had 2 megs of RAM, and came with System 1.1 on an 800K floppy. I upgraded it with a 20 meg Apple HD that plugged into the disk drive slot, and installed System 6.0.8 on it, kept it for awhile, and then put System 7.0 on it. It still works, it's in my grandparent's basement with an additional 20 meg daisychained to the first one!

Mac II (Named "Greased Lightning") - Oh man, this was my pride and joy. It was worked on by CRAY Supercomputer. It had a 256 color card when I got it, along with a 33 MHz 68040 accelerator. It was FAST. It ran System 7 like a dream. Came with 16 megs of RAM and a 80 meg drive. Two 800 K floppies. This one was never expanded.

Performa 6200CD (Named "Greased Lightning II") - The first and last Mac I would own that came with a 1.4 MB disk drive built in. 75 MHz PowerPC 603(?) with a 4x CD-ROM, 40 megs RAM and a 1 GB HD. Despite what I named it, it really wasn't that fast. It ran System 7.5 at first, then I brought it up to OS 8.1.

Strawberry iMac Rev. C (Named "Daedalus") - I had this one for around two years, and it served me well. It's the first computer I bought, I paid $500 for it. Started with 32 MB RAM, upgraded to 96, and upgraded again to 160 megs. I could not get to the bottom RAM slot, otherwise it would have gone from 96 to 192. 6 GB HD, 24x CD-ROM. It started with OS 8.5, and was upgraded from there to OS 9 and X. (Around this time is when I had joined MacOSX.com.) I got a Wacom Graphire for it along with a USB floppy drive.

Lime iMac DV Slot Load (Named "Cybele") - My current computer. I put OS 9 and X on this one as well. It was upgraded from 64 MB RAM to 192, and I have just recently put in a 40 GB drive in place of my old 10 GB one. Spacious. :) This one has a Wacom Graphire on it as well. 400 MHz, with a slot loading 4x DVD/24x CD-ROM.

Your turn! :D

Some Amiga. Actually, my dad owned it, but it counts as it was my introduction to computers.

Performas, iMacs and PowerMacs + one self-built Pentium 3 computer hav come later, check my sig.

2 IIcis, a G4 and a 604e

All good machines, and 3/4 of them still work. The PS in onen IIci blew and it's not worth fixing.:p

My brother and I had recently arrived to USA (from Mexico) when we passed by a store (Radio Shack?) and my father told us that one day he'd buy us a computer. It seemed too distant a reality... and it in fact was.

Around 1992... I had an IBM PC Jr that ran some version of DOS. I couldn't do anything with it, but I remember my brother seemed to entertain himself viewing its directory over and over again.

Then came the Tandy 1000. With that I was a bit more productive. I managed to learn a two argument code to change the color of the screen. :sarcasm: Nah, with that computer I developed an interest for BASIC... the language that years later I'd use to program my TI82, TI92, and finally, my TI89.

Then came my first Mac... the best Mac I could find at The Good Guys... The Performa 575. Total cost... over 2,000... more expensive than anything else my family had owned in America up to that point. I was only 16 years old, and I'd come home from my Saturday cheap-labor job... I'd cry in front of it... knowing that I'd have to spend 50 Saturdays doing a job I detested only to come home and be able to do nothing more than play Tetris... sad times. I regretted having bought a computer... a mac, at least.

Something went wrong with my Performa... so I took it in for service. After a few weeks being serviced... I was asked to come and pick a new one because it had been further damaged while it was being serviced. My choices were a Performa 6100... and Performa 6200CD. Big numbers seemed good... I chose the latter. That was sometime in '95-'97

The 6200CD was replaced by my iMac G3 400DV back in August 2000. The iMac, in turn, was recently replaced by my latest baby... my iBook 16MB Vram, 700Mhz, 14.1" screen, 30Ghz HD, equipped with airport.

Of all the computers I've had, the one that held the deepest spot in my heart for such a long time is my Performa 6200CD. Sadly, for the past two or three years it's been resting in my garage. The keyboard is missing keys... the monitor died after flickering for so long... but I couldn't just have thrown that computer away before because it holds memories (saved E-mails and Instant Messages) of a great relationship I had with a girl I met in the net... my first love...

Oh, I almost forgot... prior to getting my iMac DV400, I gave PCs a shot and got me an HP. I used the thing for less than a month... I felt uncomfortable using Windows. Man... I can't believe I was a PC guy for almost a month... what the [bleep] was I thinking? hehe

My next computer will have to be the best Mac laptop I can afford. That will have to wait a year or two.. since I currently have Apple's best iBook. But hmm... somebody offered me Apple's best Powerbook for $1500... tempting...

Many PCs, 286 through Pentium III.

Sun Ultra SPARC 5, NeXT Cube, SGI Indy, DEC Alpha and Tadpole.

G4 Cube, PowerBook G4 DVI.

Owned a BeBox for a few days but never received it. Very sad.

Saving up for a Cray T3E. Only $5,393,968 to go.

lol...I didn't know people named their computers :D

Anyway, here is a pretty complete list of my computers (in order of purchase):

Ancient DOS-based PC (DOS)
Performa 630CD (OS 7.X)
PowerMac 8500 (OS 10.0, OS 9.1)
Mac IICX (OS 6.5)
PowerMac G4 @ 733MHz (OS 10.15, OS 9.21)

That is it, hopefully I will be able to get a flat screen iMac or a PowerBook this fall when Jaguar comes out :D

Albert

Hmmm, list of computers I've owned, this will be a long one :)

Vic 20
C64
IBM XT clone
IBM PS/2 (386/16)
Generic 486's (multiple, around 4 of differing speeds)
Generic 586/133 (AMD)
Generic P75
Fujitsu P133 laptop
Generic P200MMX
IBM P166 Thinkpad
Dell Dual PPro 200
Dell PII 300
Sony Vaio Celeron 600
Sun Sparcstation IPX
Sun Sparcstation 5/170
HP 9000/300 (old 68k based HP box)
DEC Decstation 5000/120 (3 of them)
DEC Decstation 5000/200 (2 of them)
DEC UDB Multia
DEC AlphaStation 255/300
SGI Indigo R4k XZ graphics
SGI Indigo 2 R10k Dual Solid Impact
Apple G4/450

Ofcourse, there's also the OS list.....
DOS 3.x-6.x
Windows 3.x/95/98/ME
Windows NT 3.51/4/2000/XP
OS/2 Warp
HP/UX 9.x
NetBSD 1.x
FreeBSD 1.x
Linux 0.x-2.x
SunOS 4.x-5.x
Ultrix v4.x
OSF/1
IRIX 5.x-6.x
Mac OS9-X

This is purely from home. Max size my network has reached was IIRC 10-11 machines running 8 different OS's spanning 4 different architectures (give or take a couple OS's and machines).

I'm sure I could come up with more if I sat to think about it :)

Brian

past:
33mhz ibm - my father's check book and my first computer
66mhz compaq - turn it OFF before removing the processor...
200mhz micron - xmas gift to my mother
600mhz dell - gift to a friend

also have/had a 100mhz custom built pc & a crappy 450mhz compaq in the family, i rarely used them though

current:
500mhz powerbook - my main computer
athlonxp 1700+ - built it myself

TRS-80 Model III - more my brother's than mine

Bluestar 386DX-25

Micron Pentium 133

home-made Pentium 3 500

NEC Versa 6050MX

Sun Blade 100

Sun SPARC 2

Mac G4 867

I was in kindergarden and loved playing with the IBM EduQuest PC's... the games were awesome (remember... this is KINDERGARDEN! READER RABBIT ROCKED!).... so I said "Mom and dad... I want an IBM Aptiva for Christmas!"

well, that's when it all started!

I didn't get the aptiva, but a custom built 286 (not mhz, but a 286 intel processor!). it had Windows 3.1 on it, and some disney games... quite cool 10 years ago...

then we got it upgraded to a Intel 486 motherboard... not sure of any of the specs for the above computers...

Then, I screwed it up... formatted the C:\ drive on purpose, but didn't have all the stuff I needed to make it work, so it broke for good...

Then we bought a TOP OF THE LINE HP Pavilion 350MHz AMD K6 processor! Windows 98! WOWZERS! Harmon Kardon Speakers! OMG!

LOL!

We still use that computer downstairs... it's my sister's PC

Now, I got a 866MHz Pentium 3 Dell w/ATI Radeon 8500LE, Turtle Beach "Santa Cruz" sound card, FireWire ports, stupid modem, Ethernet card, and Windows XP (40 and 20 GB HDD's)

So you see, I've never owned a mac....

COMING SOON:
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
ATI Radeon 8500LE (w/128MB DDR)
512MB DDR-RAM
40 GB HDD
40x Burner
16x DVD
Windows 2000 (or XP... xp just bogs down the system for gaming)

In chronological order...

Packard Bell
came with windows 3.1, OK, in Russia now, running windows 95
512 MB HD!!! :eek:

TMC (The Machine Company)
Windows 98, Motherboard Full Combo, very bad
Netbus, SubSeven included (I installed both) :)

iceBook
Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Windows 2000
Best One Yet!

My list.

- Texas Instruments TI994A (apparently, first ever 16-bit computer. Only played games with it)
- IBM PS/1 286 (hated this one, could not be expanded and was obsolete when we bought it but I knew nothing about computers then)
- Cheap-ass desktop 386/16 (paid 200$ for it)
- 386/33 with 4 megs ram (my first good computer, obsolete when I owned it)
- 486/100 (did everything I ever wanted, but was slow as hell)
- Pentium 200 MMX (lasted a few months, eventually opted for an upgrade)
- AMD K6-2 366 (its motherboard died a year later, was a cheap standard motherboard)
- P3-533 (loved it from beginning to end, my girlfriend uses it now)
- AMD Athlon 1333 (never stopped loving it, I ended up killing it when trying to transfer it into a new case)
- AMD Duron 1100 MHz (using it now, like it very much, am pissed about doing a downgrade but on the other hand, I don't really need any more power)

Andre

Quadra 700 - 25Mhz 68040, 20MB, 230MB (that's the hard drive, those were the days), System 7.1

Wasn't really mine, was loaned for about a year until I got the iMac, but did well, had XPress, photoshop and a scanner, as well as the 7.1 and OS X compatible Stylus 740 printer.

iMac DV, Lime, 400Mhz G3, 64-320-512MB, 10GB, OS 8.6-9.2/X.1

Christmas present for me and my bro, although he only uses it twice a week at most, other than trying to blow the speakers with iTunes.

PowerBook Duo 230, 33Mhz 68030, 32MB, 200MB, OS 7.6

Currently down, I put in a control panel that it doesnt like, and it can't find the system folder, I need a USB floppy to make a boot disk, d'oh.

1983 - ZX Spectrum 48k - Expanded with new 'hard' keyboard (called sega 2+), Waffa Drive (which gave me 128k of Random access tape storage) & an Alphacom thermal printer (which you could fry eggs on!)

1988 - Amiga 500 - Came with 512k, added Fatter Agnus & additional 2Mb (required motherboard mod) & additional external Floppy Disk.

1992 - Amiga 1200 HD - came with 20MB Quantum Go drive. Added 25Mhz 68030 + 50Mhz FPU accelerator & 8MB of Ram. Then added SCSI card via PCMCIA slot, then created a SCSI Tower (out of an old peecee box), which i daisychained to the Amiga. The SCSI Tower contained 3x2GB SCSI 3 HDs).

1994 - PowerBook 190 - Added 8Mb RAM. Now Running MacOS 8.1

1997 - PowerComputing PowerCenterPro210 - Expanded to 128Mb Ram & Added VooDoo 3000 gfx card. Added additional 2GB HD + 640MB Panasonic Optical Drive + 250MB SCSI Zip Drive.

PowerMac G4 Tower 466Mhz - Added 256MB ram. In the process of various upgrades - may go Dual processor.

1998 - Palm Pilot Personal - 512k ram, PalmOS 2.0
2000 - Visor Deluxe - 8MB, PalmOS 3.0 - added Compact Flash springboard & 128MB of RAM + Full size targus collapsible keyboard.
2002 - Sony Clie T625C - Added 64MB Memory Stick

I still own all of my computers. They All work, even the Speccy (which i switched on last Christmas!). The PowerCenterPro currently crunches Seti units. I use the PowerBook when i want to sit out in the garden & write. I'm currently looking at putting the Amiga1200 into a tower.
The PowerMacG4 currently my website undefined & is also used for Digital Video editing.

-- Never owned a PC, but use them extensively @ work (I'm a Systems Manager & Software Development Manager)

I started with a Commodore Vic 20, then an IBM XT, a JX, a 286 and a 386 as well as an Amstrad and a couple of Windows CE Palmtops to boot. Add to that at least 20 PC's at one time or another.
And, my beloved iBook 500 Combo which is worth more to me than all the others put together.

Being my first post I thought this would be a fun one...
I started with the lovely Texas Instrument ( I can't remember the model)
apple IIe
Apple IIGS
Pack n' Smell 33Mhz
home built 486 DX4 100MHz
Micron P1 166 MMX
(Various rebuilds)
AMD 333MHz
P2 300MHz
P3 600MHz
-Then, seeing the light-
15" G4 iMac 800MHz 512MB Superdrive 60GB
500MHz Powerbook 512mb 20GB DVD Airport