• HTML

Votes: 78 84.8%
  • Pascal

Votes: 26 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trip

Registered
Well? What computer programming languages do you know or want to know?
And of-course you can vote for more than one! :D

Right now I only know English, but I hope to learn Spanish or some other language in the future. :D

oh, human languages? :D

fluent in german, english, french and russian.
basic knowledge of spanish, polish and japanese. the latter very basic. :rolleyes:

I'd like to learn Objective-C, C++, and Java

I am currently working on Applescript, which is very easy

Originally posted by alesh
I didn't think HTML was considered a language? Is it?
Not really, it's just a tagging schema.

But I guess it falls into this on account of its name: HyperText Markup Language.

Same goes for ASP (if "Active Server Pages" was intended) and AppleScript... they're more tag / script-based, rather than being out and out languages.

But hey, it's a small thing! ;)

C, COBOL, PL/I, awk, sh, tcl, LISP, FORTRAN, and plethora of the other traditional languages? Do they not count any more?

well, HTML is not a programming language, but a markup language (thus the name). ASP is not a language but a platform, and AppleScript is a (programming)language.

and to answer ladavacm: well, you don't see much of COBOL and Fortran these days, awk and sed were replaced by perl decades ago and tcl has seen it's day... Lisp was never big outside the artificial intelligence-research institutes apart from the mad hackers making platform games for emacs (which I hear is written in lisp) list-interpreter. PL/I is so outdated that I have never heard of it, and all the C-programmers have migrated to C++, there's no one who uses a plain C-compiler these days. Even the objective-c coders can hack c++...

so the answer is probably no. there is no point in using archaic languages, although it's cool knowing them, of course. i wish I knew Lisp.

I compiled a list with the languages I know, those I have looked at and those I don't know, but know of:

I know:
----------------------------------------
Java, JavaScript, Objective-C, C, C++, Perl, PHP, Python, SQL, 6809-assembler.

I have looked at these:
AppleScript, Ruby, Haskell, Logo, Tcl/Tk.

I will look at these some day:
Self, Smalltalk, Eiffel, C#, Lisp, Awk, Sed.

These I consider too archaic or useless:
COBOL, Pascal, Fortran, Prolog, Ada, Modula, Dylan, VB, Basic

I will add PL/I to the list, some day, when I know more about it than I do now...

happy coding.

When I created this thread I looked over a list of at least 200 computer languages. And chose the best ones for this sort of topic. That's why some languages do not appear on the list, even though they may be used more than others...a wide majority of users don't know them.

And note this is a thread about computer languages, not programming languages in general. Thus AppleScript and such, scripting is basically a whole new level of language. :)

Originally posted by iconara
well, you don't see much of COBOL and Fortran these days,
So, you haven't been around much lately
awk and sed were replaced by perl decades ago
Yep, you haven't been around lately
and tcl has seen it's day...
Partly true...but, see above :)
Lisp was never big outside the artificial intelligence-research institutes apart from the mad hackers making platform games for emacs (which I hear is written in lisp) list-interpreter.
You have't been around UNIX much, have you; you would have known otherwise...but, don't let that disturb you
PL/I is so outdated that I have never heard of it,
it figures, it's only the second most popular programming language, immediately after COBOL (hint: both are used mainly in big iron environments--banks, insurances, business departments, nothing really earth-shattering)
and all the C-programmers have migrated to C++, there's no one who uses a plain C-compiler these days.
Wow, now that is something new; I bet nobody told that to all of those C programmers around, especially those in embedded and operating system arena
Even the objective-c coders can hack c++...
Now I get it--you are talking about coders; I was talking about programmers. If you cannot tell the difference, you haven't been around enough

so the answer is probably no. there is no point in using archaic languages, although it's cool knowing them, of course. i wish I knew Lisp. [/B]
Unless, of course, you want to be paid for programming in them. But, that happens only after you have been around enough to have to pay your own bills, I guess :) I must agree, though, LISP is currently the least required one of the above, used mainly in mechanical engineering (ever heard of AutoCAD?)

Originally posted by Trip

And note this is a thread about computer languages, not programming languages in general.

Would you mind explaining the difference, in your own words?

To the best of my knowledge, the only languages computers use, if they can be said to use languages at all, consist of machine instructions (interpreted by the CPU). Of those, there are 5 to 10 most popular currently, none of which was on your list. So, you must understand the confusion this caused in the readers.

Yea, I see where this confusion is coming from. But we'll just all have to look around it.

Anybody against me changing ASP in the list to PHP? Anybody else want anyother changes?

ladavacm, do you know why the Y2K-scare was so big? No one knows how to reprogram the banks COBOL-systems anymore... So if your're in it for the big money, you learn COBOL to be able to remake those monsters in C. The thing with those languages you mentioned is that they are only around today, because they were big yesterday. The same will be true with C/C++ in ten years, it will be archaic, but used since many big monsters are made using it (ehm, Unix).

iconara

heh, the scare was not because nobody knows COBOL; there are tons of people (it's a very easy language to master, you just have to be able to type 600 words a minute in order to get anything done in time).

The problem was worse: the compiler was really slow in the sixties, so that most of the critical bugs (show stoppers one had to fix within minutes) have been corrected by patching the object code (at that time, people did know how to read object dumps, without disassembler). So, the source they had did not match the actual object code executing on the systems, and of course nobody kept the documentation (if any was indeed produced) about the nature of the object code patches :)

The other problem was that not enough data has been stored in hierarchical databases (they did not use relational databases at that time) and dumping/reloading those is a lot of work (e.g. instead of join field, they used join pointers, containing the physical disk sector number of the related record; these had to be maintained from user programs, since these databases predate the concept of database backend). etc, etc, etc.

Please, mark that it was not the fault of the language chosen for implementation!

Back