What software is missing?

jarinteractive

Registered
What software does Mac OS X need, or what would you like to see developed for it? It could be something that exists on Windows with no Mac equivalent or just something that would be cool to have on OS X.

-JARinteractive

jarinteractive said:
What software does Mac OS X need, or what would you like to see developed for it? It could be something that exists on Windows with no Mac equivalent or just something that would be cool to have on OS X.

-JARinteractive

A 3D Finder utilizing Quartz and Cocoa frameworks to the max ;)

KSV, have you tried 3DOSX? It tried it and it didn't appeal to my tastes, but it is quite a stylish 3D finder.

Well, with Watson being bought by Sun (and then Sun dropping development of it) there is a void in general web services for pre-10.4 systems (and a void for less resource intensive web services altogether).

There is a lot of information on the web which is much better presented in an application format than a standard page/browser format. And as most users are still using 10.2/10.3, dashboard is not really an option. Plus dashboard is a little hard on older hardware (a straight GUI is fine for most information anyways).

Web services applications don't need to be everything to everyone (which was the idea behind Watson and it's tools), a great example of a simple web services app is OmniDictionary. It is simple, to the point, and still a better resource than Dictionary.app (OmniDictionary accesses a ton of online sources for definitions).

The thing about web services apps is that you usually have to do a scrubbing of a page for the source info... and when the page changes, it'll break the app. So being willing to take the time to make frequent updates to some apps would be a must (of course, OmniDictionary hasn't really changed since it's first incarnation back in 1999 because the sources haven't changed much in that time).

If you are looking for something to do with your time, web services applications will keep you busy. And the number of apps you could make is pretty much unlimited (specially if people commission you to build them an app designed especially for their needs).

Would like to see some great creative home software for the growing, quilting, knitting, needlecraft/art industry. Would like to see some surfboard crafting software. Also some better tools for the real estate industry from land surveying sofware, to home inspection software.

Yeah I lke the 3D finder idea.

It would be good to manipulate icons are objects. You could flip them about to get folder information (i.e. widgets).

A minor change, but I would like the bit between the icon and the lettering to be mouse clickable. Sometimes i miss the icon and click in between and it does nothing, it gets a bit annoying.

Also, I don't like the curved labels that icons have, square edges is better.

A better iSync that is updated monthly with the latest phones added. I know that is dream but it would be nice.

Back