what state is Springfield in ? - the Simpsons hometown

Just wondering what state Springfield, the hometown of the Simpsons, is in.

The writers and producers of the cartoon said they have been putting hints in the episodes, but I can't catch all of them. Does anyone know the answer ?

So please post possible location with clues.

Thanks !

In episode 3G04 (Simpson Tide) there is a scene where Homer is correctly leading a submarine back to Springfield harbor. At the last second he decides to go the complete opposite direction and ends up in Russian waters. If you study a map the spot they were heading to was actually Cape Edgecumbe on the cost of Alaska.

In episode 5F03 (Bart Star) Hank Hill makes a cameo appearance and comments "We drove 2000 miles for this?" meaning that Arlen, Texas (which does not exist) is 2000 miles from springfield.

There are many other hints, but I just wanted to point out those two. I've stopped searching. Springfield isn't anywhere. The weather doesn't make sense and there are too many continuity problems for anybody to have answer to the question where is Springfield.

If you want to know more I suggest you follow this link:

http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html

According to the "Behind the Laughter" episode, they are from Kentucky.
According to the Halloween episode where Maggie is really an alien, they live on the southern coast, near Louisiana.
Springfield is a city in a constant state of change. Locations move from being within walking distance or field of view of one another to being on the other side of town. Furthermore, features spontaneously appear when convenient. Springfield apparently has a harbor, a mountain range, a forest, and much more, that do not appear in aerial views.
The Simpsons have been banned from 49 out of 50 states in the US, presumably including their home state because they are "going to New Mexico" or Arizona or somewhere in the Southwest.
Springfield has a number of "towns" like the Russian district, or "Immigranttown" (or whatever). Further, West Springfield is 3x the size of Texas.

In the end, there's too much evidence against any state for Springfield to be anywhere. It's just conveniently located where it is, to the advantage or disadvantage of whatever the story calls for.

My neighbor's son-in-law is a writer for The Simpsons. The reason that Springfield was chosen as the name of the city is because almost all 50 states have a Springfield. Don't count on them ever letting out which state the family lives in, because it'll never happen, unfortunately. That's why they love to tease us with it.

Donno what episode or when, but I got the impression they where in Ohio, cuz Marge was on the phone, I believe ordering something and she started giving out the address...

In the middle of giving out the state, she said "Hi" to someone who walked in (Flander's Wife?), so it sounded like, "Springfield, Ohi-Oh, Hi ___!" (person who walked in).

Kinda sounds like SoCal the way you described it Arden, you can be at the mountains in snow (in winter of course), at the beach/harbor, forest, river in just an hour or two by car. :)

I used to live about a mile from Bart! :D
Donno if she still lives there, but now I'm about 12 miles from her. Wish I coulda met her. I knew someone who did too! Dangit!

Originally posted by Dlatu1983
My neighbor's son-in-law is a writer for The Simpsons. The reason that Springfield was chosen as the name of the city is because almost all 50 states have a Springfield. Don't count on them ever letting out which state the family lives in, because it'll never happen, unfortunately. That's why they love to tease us with it.

I just saw an episode were the newscaster won a super lotto jackpot and cut off a breaking news story in cleveland, but that clue would be to obvious. That would only hold true assuming it was a local story.

I might make sense. Springfield needs to be near water because there are a lot of episodes when they go to the beach, and take out a boat.

Some people say there's no official state, but there is an episode were Lisa asked if we figured it out and to look closely because there are small clues. Also, there is an interview with a writer on E! that said that springfield is in a state.

Well, let me know if anyone has anyother clues.

I always guessed Massachusetts, because of the Mayor's accent. But of course, that's mostly just a connection between politics and the Kennedys.

You know it's going to be something stupid like "Ha ha all you idiots! They're really in Hawaii!" Although...

It's actually in Utah. Come out here to Utah and drive into the city "Springfield" and you'll see a bunch of billboards that read "Home of the simpsons". :D

I think the official location of Springfield is the United States. I think Springfield covers the entire USA. In episode DABF04 (Half Decent Proposal) Lisa comments that West Springfield is three times the size of Texas. That means that the rest of spingfield could cover the entire USA.

Matt Groening grew up in Springfield Oregon. It's right next door to Eugene. He also went to The Evergreen State College, in Olympia, WA (the same Univ. that Rachel Corrie went to). Anyway, he chose the name because it is so common, it is meant to be every city USA. I think we can all identify with it in our own way because he does blend a little bit of every US city into it.

That is also part of its appeal in that nobody can say "oh, those stupid ohioans, or oregonians or texans or whatever. I think we can rule out a few states though. Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming. Any others it wouldn't take place in?

There is a Springfield Ohio. It is just West of Toledo, approximately 7 or 8 miles south of the Ohio-Michigan state line. South of Springfield is Monclova Ohio, North of Springfield is Sylvania Ohio.

Homer: The Simpsons are going to Delaware!
Lisa: I want to see Wilmington!
Bart: I want to visit a screen door factory!

- Episode CABF17 (Simpsons Tall Tales)
;)

There are like 4 springfields in the US.... they always go to places that are close to a springfield... when they went to Las Vegas and got married to the waitresses for example...

The joke is that Springfield is the name most used for a city in the US. Well, that's what I've been told, but then again, the men with the white suits could be wrong of course ...

Here are two things that make it impossible.

In many episodes it snows. There are a lot of snowing equipment, so snowing is quite common.

In the episode where Marge is afraid to go out of the house (and latter gets all bulked up), she overcomes her fear by running out of the house and picking a lemon out of a tree.

Anyone who has ever been to a place hot enough to grow lemons (Arizona, California) knows that there is no way that it would snow at all.

Therefore, Sprinfield is obviously a mobile city (hey, it moved once, remember?).

Originally posted by Androo
There are like 4 springfields in the US.... they always go to places that are close to a springfield... when they went to Las Vegas and got married to the waitresses for example...

Springfield, CO
Springfield, IL
Springfield, MA
Springfield, MN
Springfield, MO
Springfield, OH
Springfield, OR
Springfield (Effingham County), GA
Springfield (Fairfax County), VA

I always guessed Massachusetts, also. Someone mentioned the Mayor's accent.. but, also the episode where they are going to Captial City. I always associated Captial City with New York, and since Springfield Ma, is near New York.........

Okay, i lie. the real reason is cause I'm from Mass. :p
hehe

Back