What to call "them"...

What should we call "them"?

• Macintel - MacIntel

• intel Mac - Intel Mac

• MacX86 - Mac/X86 - Mac-X86

• Mactel

• intelliMac - IntelliMac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Platform neutral names work best. Hence the Power name dilemma. Everyone attributes it to the processor and leaving it will be awkward although removing it will be premature until PPC Macs are discontinued.

WHAT?
That's obvious, with all due respect I don't think you're understanding this at all. What Power name dillema? Or am I not getting it? The "Power" in Mac machine names existed before PowerPC was the main CPU.

Sometimes, when you NEED to specify the HARDWARE platform, you need to CALL IT SOMETHING! Like POWERPC Mac or 68K Mac or INTEL Mac!!

THAT is what the thread is about!

I'm trying my best not to be rude, but I sincerely cannot understand why people aren't getting this! Are you not able to understand that there are situations when talking/writing about Intel Macs ONLY, require you to call it something DIFFERENT??

Intel Mac makes more sense.

Think of the naming conventions used today:
1. 68k Mac (or Mac 68k depending on who you ask)
2. PowerPC Mac (or Mac PPC depending on who you ask)
3. Intel Mac is logical. I read that the x86 is really a legacy thing now, and apple might not even go with the pentium line when the macs ship

fjdouse said:
erm, I think you guys sort of missed the point :)
erm - no I didn't. Using Fryke's example, "Does Adobe Photoshop CS2 work on the (insert name of the intel based machines here)?", I think new Macintosh does the trick.

But the whole thing is moot since we'll only have to ask that question once a new Mac actually ships and it will have a name... :-\

That specific question, yes. But we ARE talking about "them" already. All of the time, it seems...

MacFreak said:
Apple applied for a trademark for the term "Mactel" through the US Trademark and Patent Office. Oh jeezz!
!!!
Excuse me while I laugh my ass off.

I hope this is one of their "oh, what the heck?" trademarks that they obtain with no intention of ever actually using. "Mactel" is okay as a tongue-in-cheek nickname used among geeks, but not as an official title.

MacFreak said:
Apple applied for a trademark for the term "Mactel" through the US Trademark and Patent Office. Oh jeezz!

WHAT? You have GOT to be ******* joking!

Mikuro, it's not a name worthy of ANY use, beyond a telephone scam.

This trademark does not necessarily mean that Apple is going to use it. I suppose they trademarked it to prevent someone else (mis)using it, e.g. to prevent some PC maker to start making Mac-lookalikes and selling them under the name "mactels".

Mactel sounds so ugly!

hmmm... MacTel...eh???
Sounds like apple is going into the mobile phone/MVNO business ;)

Ugly? It's pathetic, I'd be embarrassed to own a machine with such a name. Despite going from 'anti-Intel move' to a position of apathy, I'm slowly becoming 'anti' again. My rational mind is saying "wait and see", but the irrational side is saying things I won't share here.

Maybe the "MacTel" moniker is actually for the "iPhone"? I don't think I'd ever call my computer a Mactel... but intel Mac's still leading, anyway. :)

Hey guys - lets be serious here...

There is _NO WAY_ that Apple is going to be calling their new Intel machines "Mactel". Think about it : Apple is a company renowned for their ultra 'cool' products, savvy marketing, & outspoken declaration to "innovate". Historically, the names and titles of their products have also reflected this reputation and ambition. Being 'cool' is part and parcel of being Mac. So confident am I, that I would set fire to my beloved Mac if Apple were going to call it "Mactel".

Comments by "Cat" on the previous page are more likely the reason Apple has trademarked this name.

Unless, of course, the Apple Marketing Team have finally snorted too much 'coke' and lost touch with reality...

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying authors on other sites are using Mactel and that's what everyone should use?

I'll be dead in my grave before I use such an ugly, CHEESY term. It's Intel Mac, or if you're a tech head Mac/x86, I'll look down my nose in an elitist manner at anyone who uses that abomination "Mactel" ;-) LOL!

Apple are far too smart to use such a stupid name, unless they've really lost the plot.

Back