What to call "them"...

What should we call "them"?

• Macintel - MacIntel

• intel Mac - Intel Mac

• MacX86 - Mac/X86 - Mac-X86

• Mactel

• intelliMac - IntelliMac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just chiming in here. I have used Macs with 68020s, Power PCs, G4s and 5s... and the chip never, in my mind, made the computer. Macs have always been the most personal of PCs. My Mac works the way I need it to, while your Mac works the way you need it too. It's the OS that makes a Mac a Mac. Behind that OS is a whole history, philosophy and culture about letting people work the way they want to. Perhaps Macs running on Intel will make this clear while also demonstrating that Intel and Windows are two very different things.

karavite said:
Just chiming in here. I have used Macs with 68020s, Power PCs, G4s and 5s... and the chip never, in my mind, made the computer. Macs have always been the most personal of PCs. My Mac works the way I need it to, while your Mac works the way you need it too. It's the OS that makes a Mac a Mac. Behind that OS is a whole history, philosophy and culture about letting people work the way they want to. Perhaps Macs running on Intel will make this clear while also demonstrating that Intel and Windows are two very different things.

I agree with you. I have my old 68030 PowerBook Duo 230, a 68040 Macintosh Quadra 650, a PPC604e Motorola StarMax (this one might not count, but it's still a Mac by all measure), and have used various post-G3 hardware. All of them exhibited the same feeling of enjoyment in me because they were Macs running the Mac OS. Of course, the fact that we spent years trashing Intel and now have come to embrace them in our Macs is something no one ever expected, but I know for sure that the experience with those Macs will be the same if not better than all the Macs before them. As much as it might also be about the hardware, it's mainly about what's running on that hardware, and Apple will make certain that it's the Mac OS giving us that experience we've come to know for years.

Sorry, I had a problem following your broken English, I understand now. :)

That's not meaning it's official though, I still think it's a pretty pathetic, ugly name which sounds like a nasty phone scam and I'd never call it that. I'm hoping Apple show a little more style than that. :confused:

For the n-th time: of course they are still Macs! But imagine talking to someone and explaining the switch or that someone asks you: what kind of Mac do you have? If you need to indicate a sub-class of Macs, before and after the switch and need to differentiate them according to processor, and not according to model. What would you use then as expression for "one-of -those-newer-macs-which-have-a-processor-made-by-intel"? In that case you could use "a Mac/Intel" or a "Mactel" to distinguish them from the Mac/PPC.
Of course "They're still Macs." and that's not under discussion here.

in conversation its going to be simplest to refer to both elements of the final thing.

i.e.

'i've got one of the intel macs' or 'i've got a ppc mac'

say it out loud - how how crazy does saying 'i've got one of the macintels' sound?!
it sounds like you are indeed refering to something totally different to the mac lineup and range of apple computers.

its exactly the same with the G4's - you can say 'i've got a mirrored drive mac' - 'i've got a quicksilver mac' - or...

'i've got a pizza box imac' - 'i've got a lamp style imac'

'i've got a Ti powerbook' - 'i've got a Al powerbook'

...were threads (or indeed people worried) done about how we should refer to every incremental change in macs because there might be a world of coonfusion that might happen because when you say to a person 'i've got a mac' they might not understand that you mean 'i've got a mac'...!?!?!

essentially though - when you've bought a new mac after the new intel macs are released (and all this knicker twisting has subsided) the only thing you really need to say is -

'i've got a mac'

Back