What to do!?

J5

certified wanker
Hey all - been a long long time since I've been here! Good to see the site still in action. Here's what I got:

1 powerbook g3 233 w/os x and 2 gig drive.
1 8500/180 w/g4 card and 2 gig drive - os 9.1
1 huge 21" oldie-but-goodie apple display

Here's the problem:
I have only about 500 megs of storage space left on the powerbook due to having os9 and X installed.
The 8500 has nothing installed. It won't let me install 9.2 on it. Has 9.1 right now.

Now here's what I plan to do:
Put all of my classic software (pshop, dweaver, flash5, etc) on the 8500 and set up program sharing. Then I want to hook the powerbook up to the big display, but is there anything I can run that will let me view the desktop of the 8500 - ie timbuktu or something?

The point tho is that I want to be able to use the g4 that's in the 8500. With program linking, will the g4 processor be used, or just the processor from the remote computer? Time to start messing around! Post any ideas you have as to what you'd do!

J5

As for program linking, you'll be using the processor from the computer you're using, if that makes sense. For example, if you put all the apps on the 8500/G4 and enable program linking, then connect with your PowerBook and run an app with the PowerBook, you'll be using the PowerBook's processor.

That's what I figured.
I'm thinking about getting a firewire card and a big fw drive for the g4 - that should speed things up a bit. Anyone know if it'll boot (os9) off a firewire drive?

Also, any software that I can use to take advantage of the g4 card?

J5

Nope, an OldWorld machine is not capable of booting from a FireWire card, I think. I'll recommend getting VNC (free) and seti up the VNC server at the G4 and control it from the PowerBook. I'll also recommend connecting them at 100 Mbit speed to that VNC doesn't slow down anything, but then you'd have to get a new ethernet card for your PowerMac.

The best solution is to sell your old machines and get a 400 MHz G4, though, they have twice as fast bus as the old Power Macintoshes, and you can connect those cheap standard ATA disks in it. I just sold my old 8600 with 420 MHz G3, and my new 400 MHz G4 is a completely new world (especially after overclocking it to 500 MHz ;) )

Yeah - I thought about selling it, but I got it for free. Plus my budget is alot closer to being able to include a firewire card and stuff vs the new g4 I'd want to get. (the biggest, fastest, mostest processorest...) My thought was to install as much ram is it can handle(1024megs), install os8.6 or 9 on the 2gig drive, then copy it over to a ram disk(400 megs or so) then set it to boot off of the ram disk. I've already booted off the ram disk and it's super fast. Then I can install all my apps on the firewire drive and it should be pretty fast.

Also, I have an Xpert128 ATI card for pc - I read somewhere about flashing it to work with the mac?? Anyone have experience or info about that?? That would rock since I have the huge 21" monitor.

Along the same lines, I have a linksys 10/100 pci ethernet card for pc as well, anyone know if this will work or do I have to flash it as well??

J5

Back