Whats on your desktop?

Noonster

Registered
Easy one this...

Just take a screenshot of your desktop without any windows open and post it up...

Interesting to see people backgrounds (wallpaper) have and how many things people have in the dock and how much crap on the desktop etc...

Obviously i cant post till i get the mac... but i am sure someone can start us off??

this is how mine pretty typically looks like...

desk19.jpg

Anyone want to laugh at how I managed to lose 28GB of Hard Disk Space?

Because, the thing is, I don't know how?! I've checked and my whole User stuff comes up to 15Gb...

(drum roll)

And now, the most boring desktop(s) of all time. But, I still gets my work done.

Convert: run a "df -h" in the Terminal, and that'll show you the true space being used. Or, do a "Get Info" on your hard drive. There are many temporary, invisible files that reside in OS X, and your User stuff doesn't account for half of that. My user folder is 949MB, and that's only because I have 900MB of photos in there, but my actual drive space being used is 15GB.

Also, posting a screenshot of a "Get Info" window and df's output may help us figure it out!

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    73.9 KB · Views: 60
chokoretto said:
A typical desktop whose wallpapers change every couple of days, except, since it's the Christmas season, I've "strung" some lights at the top, and unhid the normally hidden dock for the screen shot. I've more widgets that appear only in Konspose.

http://www.macosx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1
MEIN EYEZ! ZHE GOGGLES! ZHEY DO NOTHING!

seriously....that makes my brain hurt. Ive allways veiwd macs as clean. with definite lines....not cluttered. But, to each his/her own.

convert,
checkout the app, WhatSize - link

here's mine. I try to keep it as clean as possible. my real desktop is usually a mess, so it's nice to be virtually organized...

These are the desktops from each of my 3 virtual desktops btw
1 - a couple columbines (co state flower)
2 - my lovely wife
3 - me and my boys

(man those thumbnails look like pooh!)

Attachments

• desktop_1.jpg
    desktop_1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 37
  • desktop_2.jpg
    desktop_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 29
  • desktop_3.jpg
    desktop_3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22
I don't get all you people with icons all over your dt. it defeats the whole purpose of the panther/tiger finder! at least quicksan knows whats up. :)

here is mine (I run my dt @ 1600x1200 but had to shrink it way down to get under 100k):

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 33
blue&whiteman said:
I don't get all you people with icons all over your dt. it defeats the whole purpose of the panther/tiger finder! at least quicksan knows whats up. :)
Goes back to a request I recent made via Apple's feedback site (hope they took it seriously and that it's possible to do) - have a Finder window available through Dashboard.

A "working area" Finder window (for me) is the classic example of something I want to regularly pop up instantly and then go away again, without taking up room on the desktop.

Kap

c'mon let's get more people showing their stuff!

the thing I get the most out of in these things, is seeing what menu bar apps, and other widgety things they're using that I haven't heard of yet. i love discovering new stuff for osx, so share you desktops please. :)

::evil:: stupid admin controls wont let me use grab. :( . I guess you guys will just have to live with a screenie of my Wintel machine until i get my PB. Allthough i do like this emac quite alot..... (im at school btw, thats why i have admin controls)

Picture-2.gif

Hmmm similar to someone's methinks... Ignore any filenames that look funky, I didnt have time to clean it up.

Regards,

Dorn.

Well my desktop is pretty boring, and my wallpaper at the moment is pretty crap. But here it is ..... I had to shrink mine down too but i run mine at 1280x760 and it looks the pic looks bad cause yer i had to make it bellow 100k..... :)

Attachments

• desktop_smithy.jpg
    desktop_smithy.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 42
Here are some shots of my Quadra 650 (Mac OS 7.6.1) and my StarMax 4000 MT (Gnome 2.8 on Debian "sid" and Mac OS 9.1). I don't have Mac OS X running at home yet, as I don't have a capable Mac to run it, nor the dough to buy one...yet. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Quadra-Desktop.jpg
    Quadra-Desktop.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 24
  • DebianPPC-Gnome-Desktop.jpg
    DebianPPC-Gnome-Desktop.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 26
  • StarMax-Desktop.jpg
    StarMax-Desktop.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 23
Back