Whats the best way to run Windows Programs on my Mac 0S X 10.4.11 PPC?

embracedesign

Registered
I've just been asked to run windows programs on my mac.
I've been trying to look into it, but theres a lot of info out there based on a intel mac... whats the best way for me to run windows programs on my powerbook g4 ppc? ideally i'd like to run the two platforms parallel.

YOu can use the open source "Q" program or you can purchase Virtual PC for the Macintosh. Also consider that it will run slow since it has to do a lot of code translation to emulate the x86 processor, and how slow it runs depends on the speed and capabilities of your PowerPC processor.

... whats the best way for me to run windows programs on my powerbook g4 ppc? ideally i'd like to run the two platforms parallel.
Virtual PC is the only way to go if you are serious about performance. I strongly suggest that you have at least 2 GB RAM installed on your system. Having a G4 is an advantage because it endian switch in hardware, whereas the G5 does endian switch in software. This allows you to run either VPC 6 or VPC 7 (which does the endian change in software). Either version will run Windows XP, but Windows 2000 is considered to be the sweet spot.

Hello All :
New guy here
I am G5 2.5 Quad Power Tower 4.5g RAM

I am looking to also run windows apps on my PPC mac
specifically uTorrent

Is Virtual PC possible for me ?

cheers in advance

hallo ElDiabloConCaca:

Ok cool - i see virtual PC 7 should be best for me

once I install - can / do I need to run Windows if I only wish to run one application
I have read Windows 2000 is best over XP ? do you agree or know ?

cheers:

Yes, you have to load the entire Windows operating system (and have a valid and legal license for Windows).

Windows 2000 may run a little faster and be a little more responsive than Windows XP.

Virtual PC license, then Windows license, then accepting the performance hit for running anything under emulation...all to run a torrent client?

True, true... Transmission is a very Mac-like and slick bittorret client:

http://www.transmissionbt.com

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that uTorrent does, but it gets the job done with a small footprint and Mac elegance, and is actively developed with a great community.

I second the use of Transmission if you need to use torrent trackers. Seems like a waste to run a torrent client in a sluggish manner under emulation.

Hallo Mates:

Cheers for the replies :

Did not know it would sluggo out my computer that much
I switch between both Transmission and Azureus - Prefer Azureus as can control better movements / pushing and pulling - at times the pulling speeds are horrible seems to have issues communicating

asking about to see if there may be a better option

cheers again

Back