Whats the best way to use 2 IPods on 1 IMac?

mwilkie40

Registered
I recently purchased an IMac and also a 1GB Nano for the wife. She doesn't have any songs and I have about 15 GB's on my Photo IPod and in my library. Is there anyway to create a playlist that will serve as the basis for what songs get loaded onto her Nano? I have heard something regarding a "smart playlist" for multiple IPods but don't know how to go about getting it started. I imagine I would run into problems because obviously her IPod is blank and I would be asking ITunes to upload songs that are currently used by my IPod alone. Just worried about the copyright issues that ITunes recognizes. Please advise. Thank You.

http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/02/multiple/index.php

This is an article about managing 2 ipods on one computer. The secret is that the iPod preferences (iTunes menu --> Preferences, then click on iPod tab) is individualised for every iPod you use on that Mac. From the iPod prefs, you can set what gets updated when you connect you or your wife's iPod, if anything at all.

As far as copyright issues, as far as i can tell, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act doesn't say that there is a limit to how many iPods you can put your songs onto. Of course, the iPod must be YOUR iPod (or your wife's) (i.e. not your friend's iPod).

Apple only cares how many computers you have iTunes Music Store music on (max of 5), and how many CDs you can burn with said music (also 5).

Hope that's useful advice!

yeah, just like ra3ndy said, you will only encounter problems with the music you purchased within iTunes.

And for another method, if you only plan to upload just a single playlist with all of the music she wants on it then just make a regular playlist, name it whatever you want and just plug in your wife's iPod. Just make sure your iPod is disconnected and you have your music set to "Manual" upload. iTunes will recognize the iPod, do what it needs to do and then you can just manually upload that single playlist into her iPod. That's it.

Apple lets you connect and use an unlimited number of iPods with one computer. You could connect 50 iPods to one computer and all of them would work perfectly, even with music purchased through the iTunes Music Store.

There is no "magic trick" or special procedure to use in this situation. Simply connect the iPods, and away you go. No hacks, no workarounds, no nothing -- connect and go. Each iPod will have it's own preferences -- so you can have one iPod that updates automatically, and one that updates manually, and one that never updates, and one that updates twice a day, etc. etc. etc.

This is how iTunes and iPods were intended to be used -- multiple iPods with one computer is a-ok. Now, on the other hand, one iPod with multiple computers is NOT supported, and will require a number of hacks or workarounds in order to be operational in that scenario.

Short answer: connect the iPods just as you would any other time. It's perfectly legal, supported, and encouraged. You will encounter absolutely no problems with purchased music, either (why would they, Flomac?) -- purchased music can be put on an unlimited number of iPods.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You will encounter absolutely no problems with purchased music, either (why would they, Flomac?) -- purchased music can be put on an unlimited number of iPods.

Because I thought I read that you can only put the songs on a limited number of iPods and a certain number of burns. But if you say so, then there should be no problems. My mistake.

This is how iTunes and iPods were intended to be used -- multiple iPods with one computer is a-ok. Now, on the other hand, one iPod with multiple computers is NOT supported, and will require a number of hacks or workarounds in order to be operational in that scenario.

You could always set the ipod to update manually. This way you can plug it in into friend's computer drag the songs you want from itunes and still use it with your computer (although only in manual mode - otherwise songs which aren't in your itunes library get deleted)

Ifrit said:
You could always set the ipod to update manually. This way you can plug it in into friend's computer drag the songs you want from itunes and still use it with your computer (although only in manual mode - otherwise songs which aren't in your itunes library get deleted)
Actually, that won't work -- it doesn't matter whether you've got it set to manually manage songs or automatically manage songs... the minute you plug it into your friend's computer, you'll be prompted to wipe the iPod and "associate" it with your friend's computer.

The iPod can only be "associated" with one computer at a time, whether it's set to manually or automatically manage songs.

Actually, that won't work -- it doesn't matter whether you've got it set to manually manage songs or automatically manage songs... the minute you plug it into your friend's computer, you'll be prompted to wipe the iPod and "associate" it with your friend's computer.

No that isn't true at all. The setting "update manually" is stored _on_ the ipod. iTunes doesn't prompt to wipe the ipod if it finds this setting and the according value.
Don't try to assume something. My friend is able to plug in his ipod into my mac mini and to drag the song he wants from my machine onto his ipod (without third party applications or "hacks").

But it doesn't do it between Macs and PCs.

I don't know what exactly you are trying to say - I think you mean the compatibility problem of using HFS formated iPods on Windows systems:

This depends on the iPod's filesystem. You can't use a HFS+ (mac) formated iPod on Windows PC, thats true (not without third party applications like Macdrive, Xplay etc.)

But you can use both types on the macintosh - FAT32 (PC) formated iPods and HFS+ (mac) formated iPods. Works without problems.

But this hasn't anything to do with the "update manually" setting.

Back