whats the deal with this? [G5 bashing from slashdot]

Sure... if the results really were lower, Apple should have gone ahead and posted them that way.

Now answer this... why would they deliberately turn hyperthreading OFF to give Intel a BETTER score? Makes no sense.

Also why would they test the 3.0GHz P4 and not the 3.2GHz P4 that has been available for atleast a month.

I can't believe that as a group that is constantly decrying the "mhz myth", that some Mac folk all of a sudden get so hung up on the "benchmark myth". Geez people, go back and read your own posts about why "mhz doesn't matter in the real world" (speaking of which, funny how the old DP G4's were "faster than Wintel" (i.e. the mhz myth), but now that Apple themselves release machines that people seem to agree are significantly faster than the old ones, there STILL is an argument about the new machines being "faster than Wintel", what does that say about the old G4's?).

Veritest is FAAAAR from an "objective" measure of cpu/system superiority. It, just like every other benchmark out there, measures a certain aspect of computing performance. Whether or not this actually translates into ANYTHING in the real world is highly specuous at best.

If you want a new computer, figure out what apps you are going to use and then figure out which computer runs those apps the best, period. SPECINT's are great for pissing contests, but not much else. Follow your own advice, see the BS numbers for what they are, BS.

MANN comon,
Sure... if the results really were lower, Apple should have gone ahead and posted them that way.

" Now answer this... why would they deliberately turn hyperthreading OFF to give Intel a BETTER score? Makes no sense."

Why would they do that, Im sure they would want it to be fair ass possible yea maybe there was optimizing, but then again all apps for Intel and linux are always optimized as well theres no one compiler and have it alll optimized for all different OS's or machines....Why would it be hard to beleive from the beggining and the ground up..they said hey I want this box to be way better then any intel chip had out today??? Im sure the goal was to be the fastest..and thats it..no budget about well for example....hey..we only have this much soo i guess will just use the chips that are almost the same speed..and just make it a lil faster on our benchmarks so we can look faster...?? see now that doesnt make. sense...but hey im sure..every Troll would only be happy if one of there pc guys actually test it and shows..the latter..ya know..soo i guess will seee....

Were you drunk when you wrote that? Lol i read it 3 times and still have no idea what you're trying to say.

Originally posted by WinWord10
Now answer this... why would they deliberately turn hyperthreading OFF to give Intel a BETTER score? Makes no sense.

Because they wanted to show that, even at it's best, the Pentium4 cannot beat the G5 on that particular test. What's so hard to make sense of?

But other than that comment, who really cares?? OS X works beautifully on the G5 and can compete with other systems out there. Isn't that all that matters? I don't care how much faster freaking Intel's chips are! It only makes Windows crash that much quicker! And how fast of a chip do you really need!!?? It seems like for a while there, Intel would put out chips that were jumping MHz speeds in a matter of weeks (e.i.; 400MHz one week, 900 Mhz the next - this is exageration of course). How much faster do you want the Start menu to pop up?

Just use your comp, and I'll use mine! Whats the big deal? ::sleepy:: If this bothers you so much, why don't you email Apple or call them?

I don't believe Apple cooked the results any more than Intel does.

The only thing that matters is real world tests.

Grab a complex 3D animation or a video file and render it on both platforms. Something that will take around two hours. Get back to me on whichever one can render the fastest with the least crashes.

That's what people really care about. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

Originally posted by pyroboy
I don't believe Apple cooked the results any more than Intel does.

The only thing that matters is real world tests.

Grab a complex 3D animation or a video file and render it on both platforms. Something that will take around two hours. Get back to me on whichever one can render the fastest with the least crashes.

That's what people really care about. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

Thats about the extent I feel on the subject as well (I agree with you):p :D

Because they wanted to show that, even at it's best, the Pentium4 cannot beat the G5 on that particular test. What's so hard to make sense of?

I seriously doubt that. What good does that do Apple if they're not even mentioning that they "optimized" the Intel chips for best performance in their tests on their website. It will go unnoticed by most people.

But other than that comment, who really cares?? OS X works beautifully on the G5 and can compete with other systems out there. Isn't that all that matters? I don't care how much faster freaking Intel's chips are! It only makes Windows crash that much quicker! And how fast of a chip do you really need!!?? It seems like for a while there, Intel would put out chips that were jumping MHz speeds in a matter of weeks (e.i.; 400MHz one week, 900 Mhz the next - this is exageration of course). How much faster do you want the Start menu to pop up?

Ok you're going off topic. APPLE says that the G5 is THE WORLD'S FASTEST PC. With such a claim, they had better be able to proove it which, I believe, they have failed to do. In fact, there is alot of evidence indicating that it is NOT the world's fastest pc.

"It only makes Windows crash that much quicker" -- obviously you're looking at this from a very biased point of view. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's pretty much irrelevant in this case. I'm stating the facts. People do care about speed. They would not buy a 3,200$ computer if they did not, and obviously in this case with the G5, Apple thought speed DOES matter as they would not have bothered to revamp their processor line if they fealt otherwise.

Just use your comp, and I'll use mine! Whats the big deal? If this bothers you so much, why don't you email Apple or call them?

I'm sorry I've upset you by posting my saying something negative about Apple. I don't know you, and before your post I had nothing to do with you. I get the feeling from your comments that you're trying to start an arguement. Don't be a flammer.

While Apple has not proven to me that they have the world's bar-none, flat-out, no holds barred fastest computer, they sure as heck have convinced me that they have one really fast box. And that's all I wanted to hear last Monday.

Really, unless the G5 is truly a hoax, for all intents and purposes the top end boxes on both platforms seem to be on a level playing field give or take an app here and there. Fortunately for me, the stuff I use most (Photoshop, Final Cut) will probably smoke on the G5. The jury is still out for Lightwave, Illustrator, inDesign, Director, Flash, etc. Those latter apps aren't anywhere near as processor intensive, so I expect them to haul ass as well. Whether or not they technically run as fast as the top end Xeon I don't think will matter much given the nature of the aps (not so much render intensive as they are GUi intensive).

Lightwave better get their act together though as they've been really lacking on proper Mac development lately. I think I made a mistake with Lightwave, should have gone Maya.

Speed is very important. People have been saying for years that the current model of a given machine is as fast as the world needs. They have been wrong every time. Until all computers make the word "render" obsolete, and all apps open instantly (actually, they'd probably all always be open at all times many years from now) there will always be demand for more speed.

Bottom line. All current and near-future machines on the top end of either platform are REALLY fast. Let's all enjoy them.

What irks me though is that a lot of people worry too much what the Windoze folks think...

I'm just happy that the upcoming round of Apple hardware should be significantly faster running their own stuff compared to what they've had up to this point.

I also find it interesting that they didn't do *any* speed comps on the Apple site between a G4 and a G5... guess they didn't want to run it in the faces of those running around with dual G4s...

Lab tests are all very well and can spring up some arguable results, but at the end of the day real world tests are the ones that matter. And this comes down to the OS that sits on top of the hardware and how well companies like Adobe can program their software to take advantage of the grunt thats under the bonnet. And we all know Apple does this best ;)

It looks more to me like you lot are afraid of something. Whats with the knee jerk reactions to a bit of criticism?

I have to support Macs at work but wouldn't chose one over a PC. Show me the results of a head to head with a comparable system and I may take notice, but to just flame ANY criticism is plain ignorance.

Your problems are all to do with available software, much as Betamax was supposedly a better VCR system, VHS had the backing from third party and so won the day.
If you can't get software houses to write anything but graphics packages then eventually you could have a Mac with the power of a Cray and still people aren't going to chose them.

Jeeez, you must be bored in your job, having to support Macs! No wonder you choose PCs over Macs, you need something to do! :rolleyes:

uh yeh.. the main problem is with the users being almost retarded. Like most Mac users they are miopic and won't even think of moving to a better faster system like pc's...

To be honest with the problems with reliability that OSX has it's just like working on pc's.

I'm just happy that the upcoming round of Apple hardware should be significantly faster running their own stuff compared to what they've had up to this point.
Legacyb4 hit the nail directly on the head.
And Texas, learn to spell just a lee-tle bit and use some grammatical marking such as commas before you go around calling others ignorant.
Or at least provide some backup to your wild claims.
And what kind of IT dept do you work for? I've known plenty that are die-had peecee folk and plenty more that are Mac addicts, but I've never heard of anyone who works with Macs at work, then goes home to a PC, unless it's a secondary computer or work-related.

I think that the majority of people be it Wintel users, Linux, Mac, whatever users fall in the same trap that Apple fell... Premature Benchmarking! :rolleyes:

I think the real truth will come out after 2 or 3 months and until then everything else is pure BS... Damn, even those "old" Dual 1.25/1.42 G4s are kicking Dark Side bottoms! G5 will just kick them harder! A lot harder :p :D

OK so the typing is atrocious, along with the spelling but English is only my second language so :p

I'm in large publishing house in London (in fact you will know it if I said it, which I'm not going to) with approx 1500 Mac users, all pretty much useless at anything but editing. We are trying with carrots and sticks to get them to use PC's in some form or other to do all the normal office type work but they hold onto their Macs like babies dummys, even when we show them the benefits (which are real and huge).
I go home to a PC because, simply put, they are better. I won't explain it any more than that because I've no doubt a flame war would start so lets just say thats my opinion and leave it at that.

I have to base my calling of Mac users 'ignorant' on what I see at work. If they are a good example of what most people who use Macs are like then I think I am nearly spot on. Have a look at the posts in this forum (not all of course) and I think you will see that the majority are not erm.. mature? Rather than have a balanced view towards all computers I think you will see the trend is more of a 'I LUV MACS AND NEVER SAY ANYTHING AGAINST THEM!!!'.

Originally posted by TEXAS
OK so the typing is atrocious, along with the spelling but English is only my second language so :p

I'm in large publishing house in London (in fact you will know it if I said it, which I'm not going to) with approx 1500 Mac users, all pretty much useless at anything but editing. We are trying with carrots and sticks to get them to use PC's in some form or other to do all the normal office type work but they hold onto their Macs like babies dummys, even when we show them the benefits (which are real and huge).
I go home to a PC because, simply put, they are better. I won't explain it any more than that because I've no doubt a flame war would start so lets just say thats my opinion and leave it at that.

I have to base my calling of Mac users 'ignorant' on what I see at work. If they are a good example of what most people who use Macs are like then I think I am nearly spot on. Have a look at the posts in this forum (not all of course) and I think you will see that the majority are not erm.. mature? Rather than have a balanced view towards all computers I think you will see the trend is more of a 'I LUV MACS AND NEVER SAY ANYTHING AGAINST THEM!!!'.

Isn't a bit ignorant calling other people ignorant? And I bet for many other people you are "pretty much useless at anything but...your profession here..."

Or that you "are not erm.. mature?"

:p

As for "with carrots and sticks to get them to use PC's"... Is that how the Dark Side convinced you to turn into a Sith Lord? :rolleyes:

:D

Funnily, I thought he was describing what happens when trying to show PC users the benefits and pluses of using the Mac... ;)

TEXAS... unfortunately you have (immaturely) fallen into that trap of labelling ALL Mac users as one particular brand... as with ALL Windows users, we are a varied bunch of people all of which belong to society. Sorry to condescend, but you have posted on a Mac forum, insulting Mac people, for the obvious reason to get a reaction.

Back