What's wrong with my web server?

Whitehill

Registered
I have been playing with a local installation of WordPress, which says it turns on Apache and MySQL, and finishes without reporting any errors. But ...

When I follow the instructions and point a browser at the resulting fledgling site, say "localhost/Sites/playpen", Safari and Firefox both tell me they can't find the server. Questions:

1. Is there supposed to be something between "localhost/" and "Sites"? Like, say my user name "whitehill/"?
2. Where is a good and easy way to check if Apache is healthy - or even running?
3. Ditto MySQL.

I'm running 10.15.3 and other LAN operations are running without a hitch: file servers, PLEX, ...

A few years ago, with MacOS X Server, I knew where to look. Is there a decent (and cheap) GUI manager for this sort of stuff?

I have been playing with a local installation of WordPress, which says it turns on Apache and MySQL, and finishes without reporting any errors. But ...

When I follow the instructions and point a browser at the resulting fledgling site, say "localhost/Sites/playpen", Safari and Firefox both tell me they can't find the server. Questions:

1. Is there supposed to be something between "localhost/" and "Sites"? Like, say my user name "whitehill/"?
2. Where is a good and easy way to check if Apache is healthy - or even running?
3. Ditto MySQL.

I'm running 10.15.3 and other LAN operations are running without a hitch: file servers, PLEX, ...

A few years ago, with MacOS X Server, I knew where to look. Is there a decent (and cheap) GUI manager for this sort of stuff?

Sites is what is open to Internet and Localhost is for your internal network!

I want my internal network. More info ...

I have installed (I think) the ServerPress tool to build and test a WordPress site without actually deploying it. I took its defaults and it created

/Users/xxxx/Sites/www.example.dev.cc/​
containing
README.md​
blueprint.php​
index.htm​
wp-config-sample.php​
wp-config.php​

The next step is to bring this up in a browser and complete the initial WordPress set up. That's where I'm stuck.

Back