What's wrong with this picture?

Imagine

Registered
Hi!

I purchased a Mac Pro and it came with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (256) MB video card. I also have a G5 Dual 2.0 which came with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64) MB VRAM.

Today, I bought a Westinghouse (LVM 37w3) 37" 1080p monitor, but when I connected it to my G5, the picture was great, but moving the mouse was extremely jittery, and playing a DVD was good, but not great.

I don't have my Mac Pro at the same location, but will the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT be a better match for the monitor because of the 256 MB VRAM, or is this a problem with the monitor?

I'm assuming it's the video card. What's your opinion?

Thanks!
-Dean

Congratulations on your new TV. However, it is a TV, not a computer monitor. It may be used as such as you know. If you do so, you will have to make compromises. One is that the TV monitor displays at 30 fps, much lower than the 60-75 fps expected of a dedicated flat panel computer monitor.

With 8ms response time, it ought to be able to support typical computer rates. It is sold as a computer monitor. Have you checked the Displays section of System Preferences to make sure you have a good refresh rate set?

Your video card should be able to support 1920x1080 resolution with no problem.

Mikuro,

The refresh rate is set to 60 as specified in the manual, which is also the only option. Also, something I didn't mention in my original post. I have a recording studio, so due to fan noise, the G5 and all drives are kept in the closet. The monitor came with a 6 foot DVI cable, and I'm using an 8 foot extension. Would that cause the mouse to be sluggish? Thanks!

MisterMe,

The Westinghouse is a computer monitor. I made sure of that before I bought it, and with 8ms response time, it should be able to handle. Thx.

Most TVs do not provide great quality as a computer monitor.
You can call this Westinghouse TV a monitor if you wish. Westinghouse has to call it a monitor, because it does not come with a TV tuner - but the intended use is for a TV display, and you may not be completely happy using it with any computer.
The 1920 x 1080 resolution through a computer on a 37-inch screen does not leave you with best quality on that large a display area, but it's the native resolution.
Consider that Apple's 30-inch (or Dell's 30-inch) provide 2560 x 1600 native resolution (or 4 megapixels if you want that kind of figure), and your display area is 50% larger, but half the number of pixels (which works great with TV, and HD, of course)

Back