What's your Instant Messenging application ?

What's your IM application ? (Several answers possible)

• MSN

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • AIM

Votes: 41 36.3%
    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Yahoo!

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Jabber, Gudu-gudu, any other (tell what)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I use Fire or Proteus, I've got them all, and I checked only this box

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • None

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toast

Gone !
So iChat will use the AIM network…

Is that because AIM is the biggest IM network around ? Here in France, MSN is far ahead, most people don't know anything about AIM !

Moreover, when I have to compare MSN and AIM, just looking at the applications and at what they allow to do, MSN is really better !

And besides those there are more networks. Though I never talked to anyone using Yahoo! IM. Or maybe I have…

So this is to know.

PS: I use Proteus, thanx fryke !

In OS X, I always use Proteus 2.0fc1. But it has some bugs in OS X 10.2 so I use iChat/ICQ/MSN separately.

I use Proteus 2.0 cause it's super neat...but I still have MSN, YIM and ICQ on my system just in case something goes wrong with Proteus...

I hope whatever bugs there are with Proteus and 10.2 are figured out before my copy of Jag gets here....Oh wait, I haven't even ordered it yet! :rolleyes:

wow, more people use MSN than I would have expected. I only have 2 friends that use it while everyone else I know uses AIM.

Originally posted by toast
Is that because AIM is the biggest IM network around ? Here in France, MSN is far ahead, most people don't know anything about AIM !
indeed, agree with that. here in holland (near to france ;)) everyone uses msn, and they think "AIM" is a desice or something.
iChat is cool to go to the Britney "can she cook" Spears restaurant, but useless for us europeans...
(i checked msn btw :))

Well the reason AIM is so popular here in the states is because most people started their internet 'careers' using AOL. So many people know how to use the instant messenger and stick with it. ICQ is more for geeks (you know what I mean) and Yahoo just isn't very popular.

Originally posted by themacko
Well the reason AIM is so popular here in the states is because most people started their internet 'careers' using AOL. So many people know how to use the instant messenger and stick with it. ICQ is more for geeks (you know what I mean) and Yahoo just isn't very popular.

My take on it is that the typical AOL user is a blithering idiot and it's one less thing you have to teach them since they already have it. :D

Originally posted by FrgMstr
I use Trillian cos it connects to all networks.

Oh, don't get me started on Trillian. I truly hate it, yet use it at work since AIM is even worse, and I can keep all IM windows within one window. But the functionality blows major chunks.

the bulk of my friends use AIM so I keep adium on because it is my favorite AIM app. However I do have a few friends that use the other services so I keep Fire running too with another AIM account, Yahoo, MSN, and ICQ.

I'm a big fan of M$ M$N instant messenger, though I downloaded a great little app called Fire that allows me to connect to all my IM services and communicate: ICQ, M$N, AOL, Yahoo.

Finch

I use adium,.... via AIM... i would use some other one like yahoo but all of my friends and people i know use aim or aol...!

so what would be the point of using some other service if i know no one on it?? i am glad apple is doing iChat on AIM!

The Mac Geekette

All my friends use MSN Messenger, so I use AIM...if they wanna talk to me they can switch :D

Hey, until these same people learn that mIRC is a program, not a network they deserver this treatment and need options :)

yeah it bugs me when people say in quake 3 or something "lets talk in the mirc chan"...

Proteus all the way baby.

i use proteus most of the time.

but there are too many bugs !!
i just wish they all were fixed.

check out proteus now !!!

i like those cool animation effects and those additional features (such as broadcast) that are missing in many other IM apps

Back