What's your Internet connection ? How much ? Worth it ?

Internet connections (NOT your university, yours, the one you pay for)

• I'm using DSL/Cable. I fond the price of it correct.

• I'm using DSL/Cable, it's quite cheap !

• I'm using DSL/Cable, it's just TOO expensive !

• I'm using Wi-Fi or equivalent (tell what and why)

• I'm not using broadband connection (tell why)

Results are only viewable after voting.

toast

Gone !
Hello to all @ macosx.com,

I'd like to know what connection you are using. Broadband, I suppose, for most of us. I'd liek to know what are the ISPs, the prices and the rates too. I'm just being curious.

I'm just being curious because mine fits very well my needs. It's Wanadoo, I pay $25/month for 16K/s up and 64K/s down with the DSL (SpeedTouch USB modem). I get over the down limit often, though: I get some 80K/s quite often.

Two more things:
• $1 ≈ 1€ in our days :D
• This is not an ad for Wanadoo.

First, I am heavily jealous of anyone with highspeed access.
Second, I don't use it cause the cost in my area (nowheresvile, Pennsylvania) is a bit high...that with the fact that the only offered here is DSL--no internet cable service in this area anymore.
Third, I wish I had it.
Fourth, if I did I would likely never leave my computer.
Fifth, if I can talk my wife into letting me get it before the year is over, I'll justify the cost to myself later!

I have a 1.5 meg wireless connection that uses a 56K modem for the uplink.

I love the wireless part, but i despise the modem part.

I think it's worth the price of about $24 Canadian/month.

It's from Look Communications.

BUT, if I could get DSL here, I'd switch in a heartbeat. This is because I hate the dialup modem so much and I want to get rid of it.

I love my internet connection. I get up to 1.8 Mb/s so you can imagine why. I pay around $18 a month for it. I live a "dorm", well it's a house only for students, and I think our ISP is Orange.

We have a 704/128 kbit line from Telenor (the worst ISP ever, and unfortunately the owners of all copper lines in Norway). It costs $85 a month (yes, that was not a typo). The service sucks, they never reply to emails, and we only get 596 kbits of the 704 we're paying for. In two months they're going to start charging per megabyte of data downloaded/uploaded :mad:

I have cable service from Adelphia. The speed is excellent, right around 3000k/sec when conditions are good, and never less than 900k/sec during "prime time."
But the price is $40 per month if you also have their cable TV service. So for broadband and cable TV with the extended digital channels but no premium services, I pay $90 per month.
:(

i've only got 56K, mostly cos i cant get it where i live and even if i could i dont have a job, and if i got a job i wouldnt be at home all day to use the internet.

AT&T Broadband here, 1.5/128 (I think, maybe 256 up)....

I've been happy with them, they do me good... 5 or 6 email addresses, 10 mb each email address for webspace... when I signed up, they gave me a static ip, but after the loss of @home, they took it away... works great serving my 3 PeeCee's and the airport to my ibook...

Originally posted by ksv
We have a 704/128 kbit line from Telenor (the worst ISP ever, and unfortunately the owners of all copper lines in Norway). It costs $85 a month (yes, that was not a typo). The service sucks, they never reply to emails, and we only get 596 kbits of the 704 we're paying for. In two months they're going to start charging per megabyte of data downloaded/uploaded :mad:

I have the same crap. Only that I have a slower connection at 384/128.
I also get regular breakdowns so that I can't be able to access internet in som hours, that sucks.
Time to swich to NextGenTel or something, eh?
(PS sjekk PM'en din)

I have dialup through school, and my mom just got Earthlink dialup for her PC. Reason: cost. If I want broadband, I have to pay for it, and I don't have enough for school as it is. Also, we don't have cableTV, so cable is not affordable.

Originally posted by julguribye

I have the same crap. Only that I have a slower connection at 384/128.
I also get regular breakdowns so that I can't be able to access internet in som hours, that sucks.
Time to swich to NextGenTel or something, eh?
(PS sjekk PM'en din)

Yeah, I'm switching to Catch SDSL :)

Originally posted by azosx
4115 kbps broadband

56k dialup

6 20MB POP3 accounts

$34/month

my ISP rocks yours
What, do you have a T3? Geez.
I'm on Adelphia's cable. 3 Mbps downlink, 256 kbps uplink.

I have it the best. 6mb of bandwidth plugged into my apartment and it doesn't cost me a dime, except it is because I work at an ISP and the hell I go through everday really doesn't make it right. So I guess I am not so lucky. ha ha ha

512 Kbit down, 128 Kbit up - Cable. Plus AirPort for my TiBook. Back in 1997 I was using a leased line with 28 Kbit up/down, for which I've paid 4 times the price. I guess I'm very fond of the broadband prices nowadays, and while I *could* have 1 MBit by now, I'm staying where I am, since the main reason I got broadband was a cheap replacement for a 'real' leased line.

Well, I have an ISDN line into my house... its 128k up and down which equates to about 14Kbps. I pay the phone company about $75/month for it... Normally I would have to pay my ISP too, but my best friend owns it so I don't have to pay them.

If I could get DSL or cable access I would jump on it... but alas, like most people in america, its not available at my house...even though i live in Denver. The townhouses I live in are predominently occupied by a bunch of retired blue hairs so there is probably little demand from my neighborhood, hence the phone companies unwillingness to spend the money on increasing the infrastruction in my little neck of the woods.

Its so damn frustrating that while I live in a major city, Qwest doesn't see fit to upgrade, so here I sit on a way too expensive alternative to DSL. Don't get me wrong, ISDN is ok compared to 56k dialup, but when I see how fast the net flies up at my friends house, I get soooo jealous. ITS NOT FAIR!!!

What a crock these guys are. I have to use PPPoE, which is fine under a single OSX computer (it's easily set up and already built in) but try hooking a router to it...not gonna work. So for now I can't really network anything (like my xbox, to play halo).

I have used verizon and verizon avenue. My favorite was verizon, it was dhcp as many clients as you wanted, 768 up and down, and only $45/month -- which is great for my area.

Unfortunately, those days are over. i think whoever set up the verizon package -this was about 2 years ago- was a real technut. And whoever is running SBC is simply a friggin business man. I pay about 50/month and although we have att&t broadband for cable, we can't use it for internet. Read: Apartments suck.

BTW for those interested in halo multiplayer and don't want to wait, try aquaduct. i am missing the link for it, maybe do a search on google for "halo aquaduct". I can't use it, but I at least want to spread the love.

Originally posted by azosx
4115 kbps broadband

56k dialup

6 20MB POP3 accounts

$34/month

my ISP rocks yours

As usual, this is a nice and constructive post.
Is it too much to ask for the name of this ISP ? Or does it rock soooo much we won't know ?

Back