When a G5 powerbook !!??

iluvosx

Registered
I cant stand it !! I am leaving back to India in a couple of months - and I know I am going to buy back a Powerbook. I was hoping that Jan 6 would see the announcement of a G5 Powerbook - but all hopes dashed !!

Apple - any chances of a G5 Powerbook release this year ? [dont worry tho - you would sell a G4 17" if you don :)]

This year, most probably. In the next few months? Not too likely.
I think the PowerBook G5 is still a fair way off, judging by the number of concerns that have to be addressed before a suitable chipset can be produced in sufficient quantities. I would just go with the current G4 and not worry about it, since a lot of the G5's features aren't being fully utilised by the software yet.

Apple announced the Xserve G5 on Tuesday, which isn't a lot bigger than the Powerbooks. Sure, there are glaring differences, like the large holes you couldn't put into an iBook and the 1U size, but the important part is that Apple managed to figure out a way to stuff 1 or 2 90-nm G5 chip(s) into a space that small. I bet you'll have your G5 Powerbook by next year's MWSF, if not summer.

From Mac OS Rumors:

"Not impressed by MWSF? Well then you're in luck. The usual whiners and crybabies have come pouring out of the woodwork to decry MWSF 2004 as a "snoozefest" among other colorful adjectives; whether you agree with them or not, Apple has heard them loud and clear. Senior Apple personalities who have been roaming the show floor post-keynote have been overheard pointedly dropping hints of an Apple event later in the month that will update the PowerMac G5 and at least one other Mac along with it -- and the upgrades will be "even more ambitious than what the rumor sites would have you expect"....

"and at least one other Mac..."

Hmmm... Could it be? Is it really too much to hope?!

The details on heath disspiation and power consumption are not yet clear, but if we are going to see a G5 PB this year, it will use the 90nm processors that were just introduced wiht the Xserve. I cannot believe that Apple didn't factor in the G5 while designing the new PowerBooks casings and architecture. So I presume that to some extent the current form factor is already partially G5-ready. Cooling and power are the issues that are to be resolved. It will take some time, but we are talking months here not years. I am quite sure that we will see a G5 PowerBook within a year.

A G5 PowerBook will happen, it's just a matter of when. as it's been said, the cooling issue will be paramount. Heck, I just upgraded to a G4 iBook and the heat is considerably increased over the 600 mhz G3.

My brother is getting a HUGE paycheck in about 3 weeks and he is REALLY IMPATIENT AND WANTS TO GET A G4 powerbook...I was wondering should he wait a week extra to see if Apple comes out with a better powerbook g4, or does anyone not think that will happen. I am talking about a little speed improvement up from 1.25 Ghz to 1.42 or something like that? He wants a 15" powerbook and sources say an update should be out soon. But, with new G5s coming by the end of the month do you think this is likely? Thanx

Yeah, when they come up with a G5 chip that doesn't need 9 huge fans to cool it, then they'll be ready to make a laptop.

From what I understand they are looking at non-airflow related cooling for a G5 powerbook. Most likely some type of liquid cooling system. Another issue is producing a low power version, otherwise your battery will last around 5 minutes. And, yes they did make the Xserve that is only 1U, but it is longer, and wider then a laptop, and most of all, it's connected to 120/220V power.

My bet is there won't be a PPC970 based G5 laptop, but probably a seperate low power PPC chip that IBM is supposedly working on. My bet is it will be announced end of 2004, and actually start shipping in 2005.

Brian

Arden said:
Apple announced the Xserve G5 on Tuesday, which isn't a lot bigger than the Powerbooks.

What?! Have you seen an XServe?! They're HUGE! The only thing small about them is their height... but width and depth are tremendous! MUCH MUCH bigger than even the 17" PowerBook!

Back