When Did your Battery for any of your macs die?

I have a graphite SE iBook and teh battery died about 2.5 years after getting it. I had upgraded to an IceBook and had let the clamshell sit for a few months. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Or did you mean the onboard logic board battery?

So far I haven't had one die. Of course, I haven't had a single Mac for more than a year and a half or so =)

I've just had the PRAM battery go in my iMac after just 18 months. My computer is nearly always plugged in and turned on so I think I must have just got a bad one. I've ordered a replacement one but it hasn't arrived yet.

Mine has gone after 1 and a half years.
It's a PowerBook G4 667 with 512 Mb.

Battery last a good 18 minutes now.

My 15" PowerBook G4 battery lasted for about an hour after 15 months, and then it died completely this summer (18 months).

I have had issues with motherboard batteries in LC's and the like, but then no battery will last forever. I was administering a network with too many OLD mac typewriters and I got there just in time for all the batteries to give up one by one.

My 175 battery gave up after three years and the battery in my 1400 didn't last two years.

Recently, the 10.2.6 upgrade killed my clamshell's battery. I had bought it used so I don't know how old it was, but it went from holding a two hour charge to holding a ten minute charge right after the upgrade.

Since then I always remove the battery for upgrades.

My LC II battery went about 6 months before my Performa 640 which I bought 3 years later. The I bought an Powerbook G3 in 1999 (my sole computer) and it had the batter replaced in Jan 02 when I got the logic board replaced. My bro and mom got imacs in aug 99 and dec 99 and apr 03 and none of those batteries died yet - but the dec 99 imac (400 dv se) did have logic board replaced twice

I am proud to say that I have been running off this SE graphite iBook for the past three years. And before that my step-mom had it. So it's been going good since day one (1998 I think?). And it hasn't showed signs of slowing down at all...

...infact I'm probably going to upgrade the memory in it shortly.

I have a 6500/300 from the summer of 1997. The Pram battery just went on it about a month ago for the first time.
My G4 Desktop from late 1999 has the original battery yet.
My G4 PB has the original batteries, from summer 2001.

In my first laptop, a 190cs, the battery lasted for 3 1/2 years. My second, a Wallstreet (G3), I have no clue, an old girlfriend of mine stole it from me. :mad:

My Desktop G4 from 1999 also still has the original battery, but I'm noticing that every now and then the clock is getting reset on reboots/shutdowns so it's probably getting somewhere close to running out.

And I just got this iBook G4, so I'm not expecting the battery to go bad anytime soon. :p

I think I've replaced the G3's battery at least once; I know I've replaced the battery on the IIsi we had before we got the G3. :rolleyes: As far as I know, the battery in my iMac, if there is one :)confused:), has never gone out.

Some people lost their notebook batteries to some funky code in the 10.2.4 installation. It completely killed the batteries' vitalities, requiring replacements. That's one reason I like desktop machines better.

My old Palm IIIxe used to go through rechargeable batteries fairly quickly, which is the advantage of having them: just pop them in the charger for a while and they're good to go. I think I wore them out from extended use, though, as it got a much better lifespan from regular Duracels.

My Tungsten E depletes its battery fairly quickly as well, but I charge it almost every night, so whether or not that contributes to it, it will usually have a full charge by morning.

That's one thing that surprised me. I heard somewhere a long time ago that Palm PDA's could go for something like 2 weeks on a couple AAA's. I guess it depends on how much you use it, and whether it's one that tends to drain power more quickly (like my always-backlit Tungsten E).

pismo died about 2.5 yrs after. then it jumped back up to 30 min, and it died about 4 days ago. since im 99.9% of the time plugged in and sitting at my desk, it doesnt bother me much. i put in the plastic weightsaver instead.

I just got a Graphite SE iBook and the battery would last for about 4-5 hours in Classic (but only 2h in OS X, the darn hard disk never sleeps! :mad: ) but the battery seems good!

Back