when I answer the cordless phone my airtunes stop playing!

crypee d

Registered
I have the airport express in the media closet joined to an existing lynksys network and airtunes just stops when I answer the 2.4 GHz cordless phone. I previously had problems with dropouts when the airtunes express was plugged in directly behind the large receiver. There was lots of interference and I got used to drop outs but did not notice they also occurred when we answered the phone. I moved the AE and now it is solid EXCEPT when we answer the phone.

Any ideas?

I had similar problems, then I got a 5.4Ghz phone, and it was solved. Since 802.11 works on 2.4Ghz, cordless phones will cause interference.

The 2.4 GHz frequency spectrum is subject to interference from several common household services including 2.4 GHz cordless phones and microwave ovens. The only way to prevent Airport interference is to get rid of the other devices that radiate RF in the 2.4 GHz frequency range. In other words, you have to make a choice between your 2.4 GHz phones, microwave, and Airport.

At a not inconsiderable expense, we converted to 1.8 GHz phones so the only interference we have now is between the microwave and Airport. For our desktop Macs we use a wired ethernet, reserving Airport for use with the laptop when we are in another room. Because of interference, security, and other issues, I am personally unconvinced that wireless networking, as convenient as it is, is fully ready for prime time use.

I have the same issue with Airport Express in my home, except I think that my cordless phone operates in the 900Mhz range. The router is in the basement and we often use the laptop two floors up. Anyone else out there had issues with a 900MHz phone? Would the 802.11b or 802.11g setting be better in this scenario?

In any event, perfessor's comments are interesting, but I must disagree (or clarify) one point. Wireless networking in the home may not be ready for prime time, even with the availability of a slew of low-cost home wi-fi networking equipment. However, you just have to go to your local Starbucks, library, airport, or hotel to see that wi-fi has achieved a critical mass for the mobile user. Maybe you intended that, but I just wanted to point out what I see as a huge trend.

Heck, on a recent trip to Paris, I was surfing away with by PB at a McDonalds(!)

While it's true you can only completely eliminate interference by eliminating the interference-generating devices, there are a few things you can do short of that that will help:

1. Make sure your cordless phone base station isn't close to your AirPort Express;

2. Enable "Interference Robustness" in AirPort Admin Utility (see attached screenshot);

3. Turn up the transmitter power (debatable affect);

4. Change the channel of your cordless phone, if you can.

2.4 GHz devices don't all run at exactly 2.5000 x 10^9 Hz, they use channels in that band, so dependong on how well those devices stick to their channels you shouldn't be experiencing problems, consistently, like that.

Microwave however emits a broader spectrum interference, sort of like a motor (i.e., vacuum cleaner) so there's nothing you can do about that.

I use a Uniden 2.4 GHz phone (model EXI3046) exclusively in a small 3 1/2 apartment and it never interferes with my AirPort Express. In fact, my cordless phone receives interferance from my AirPort !

Attachments

• Image-Remote-Desktop.jpg
    Image-Remote-Desktop.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 17
Back