When will Apple get any respect?

I almost wish that Apple hadn't brought G4 into all their computers, besides the iBook.

Think about it this way. With the current sales trends of major PC manufacturers and the rumors of the G3 becoming supercharged and Altivec capable, having 3 chip lines would be great!

I would think that the eMac would be $200 less or so with a G3 in it, instead of G4, wouldn't you?

G3 -> eMac, iBook, new small form factor tower.
G4 -> iMac, 12" PB, 15"PB, Dual 17" PB, XServe 1U, new small form factor tower.
G5 -> PowerMac, PB 15" (high end), PB 17", XServe 2U.

That would give the consumer many more options and pricing scales.

Apple could really use more than 1 line of desktop equipment. Think about this:

1.2GHz G3, 256MB PC133, 40GB HD, 10/100, GeForce 3/4MX type with 32MB, small form factor: $799.99

1.5GHz G4, 256MB DDR, 60GB HD, Gigabit, GeForce 4MX 32MB, small form factor: $1199.99

1.6GHz G5: $1599.99

People can pick their own display to fit their needs/space. There'd also be a more entry level line available for the people that want towers, never had an Apple, and don't want to spend $1600.00 to try one out.

The laptops could use 3 chips to accomplish the same thing. With a high end 15" and 17" having the G5 option and the 17" also having a dual G4 configuration.

Have any of you really looked at what comes in these $499.99 Dells? Not much, IMO. Apple's $799.99 desktop response may be a good push. It'll also create more attention to the eMac with it's simular specs and built in monitor.

Just a thought.

As far as respect goes, I don't think they do...yet. So many people are blind to Apple. I was talking to someone today who wants an iPod for their PC desperately and didn't think Apple.com would sell them. They weren't even 100% sure Apple made the product.

Over 1 million sold and some still don't make the connection.

I agree that things are turning around, especially with the computational cluster at VT and the Schaumburg iBook purchase. G5 was the beginning and Panther should sway many more to the platform.

Well, with your last point, or almost last point, many people are clueless about a lot of stuff. Walk around your city, frequent the common hangouts, etc. and ask people if they voted in the last election or the last American Idol, and you'll probably get a lot more Idolizers, especially among the younger crowds. The same goes for many topics; people just don't pay attention, especially if the topic is uninteresting.

I agree with you somewhat on the model options. Apple should broaden the range of their products to more than just one chip per computer, and they should label them differently based on what's inside. My 400 Mhz iMac says the exact same thing on the front as the lampshade models, "iMac," yet they are completely different machines. They might do well to label their computers by year, much as car manufacturers do, because that would greatly decrease the confusion. They should definitely not go back to the older method of using model numbers or letters, since it's quite confusing to distinguish a 6500 from an 8500 from a 9500, etc. (I remember when the 8600's and 9600's were new, and I really wanted one! Now I really want a G5. !)

I mean, my gf is a perfect example.

Before she met me, her mom bought her a computer as a gift. It had a really nice looking GHz number. She's happy but it always seems slow to her. Then she meets me and my 867MHz tower. Blows her machine away.

What is her machine with all it's GHz? A Celeron.

The bargain PCs usually aren't machines any of us would use. A super charged G3 with a cool form factor would destroy a machine like that. We'd still be $200 over a bargain Dell, but we'd be getting people under the Apple roof.

That's our real goal here. Find a way to get people to use the product. Once they do, they want it and if they can, they buy it. We have a top notch CPU now, I won't say if it is the top, but we know it's able to hang with the big boys. We have an OS coming out which does everything Windows does, except crash. If you thought people drooled over Aqua and bouncing icons, wait until you show them Expose.

This is the start of a critical time for Apple. If Steve didn't pull out a G5 at WWDC, we may be singing a different tune right now. Apple would have lost more respect and a ton of sales, as we can see with shipping times on our new silver clad machines. Panther is ready to be prime time in an enterprise environment.

I'm not saying we're gonna ever be the 95% out there, but right now we have the attention of all 100%, we just have to keep it in this positive manner.

Mac Hacker....just tell them this:

So what's the problem? oh too much
So how much did your car cost you? oh, that is different.
Hmm, well it sucks to be you.
then walk away.

Back