Where am I going wrong?

Rhisiart

Registered
I have VMware Fusion 1.1.3 installed on my Intel Mac Mini.

I have successfully set up Windows XP with little difficulty.

I am trying to set up another virtual machine for 64-bit Ubuntu. Unfortunately, installing VMware Tools has been frustrating to say the least.

I have followd the instructions on this page. However all my sudo commands on the guest terminal come back as invalid.

Can anyone advice?

Could it possibly be the same for VMWare's tools?
I suspect it is.

I have accessed a number of help documents from different web sites and all suggest that it is a piece of cake to install VMTools with Ubuntu 8.0.4.

I am sorry, but I beg to differ.

I hope VMware will come out with a solution soon.

I had that same problem. If you go to VMWare's appliance page, they have a downloadable Ubuntu image with VMTools pre-installed.

Thanks icemanjc. I tried to download the one you suggested, but none of the download links from the VMware's appliance web pages work.

I have all the install CDs for Ubuntu anyway. I think I'll wait for VMware to come up with a work around.

Ubuntu 8.0.4 doesn't have precompiled tools yet. Thatswhy the default doesn't work.
The pre-compiled version would need to have one for each version of VMware product.. so 1 for Fusion 1.1.3, 1 for 1.1.2, 1 for 1.1.1, 1 for 2.0 beta 1, 1 for beta 2, and the same litany for EVERY product where VMware Tools exist. Each version has new Tools...

But you can build them - the bottom of the page links work for it.
http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-install-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-hardy-804-under-vmware-fusion.html On the first time, maybe 10 minutes to figure how to build the Tools.. and that should do it :)

Back