Where did my spell-checker go to school?

piquant

Registered
I am thoroughly vexed with my Mail 1.3.11 spell-checker which isn't all that better informed than me, and I can barely spell cat. Would some well versed soul out there advise me on how I can deep-six my speller for a speller that can spell?

The dictionary and/or spelling checker in Mac OS X should recognize simple words such as "cat." Are you sure you're using the US English dictionary for spell-checking?

What I'm saying is that Mac OS X's system-wide spell checker (which is the spell checker used by Mail) is quite accurate most of the time. It should not have trouble with simple words, such as "cat." (I realize that's only an example you provided, but you said you can barely spell "cat," and the spell checker isn't any better that you, so from deductive reasoning, we can assume that Mac OS X's spell checker has trouble with simple, 3-letter words as well)

I'm alluding to the fact that perhaps there is something wonky with your system -- maybe Mail isn't using the built-in spell checker, maybe the spell checker has been switched to a different language, or perhaps the spell checker is somehow "broken."

We have two options from here on out:

1) Find out what the problem is with the Mac OS X spell checker, fix it, and renew your faith in the default Mac OS X spell-checker, or
2) Just scrap the spell checker altogether, forget about finding out what's wrong, and try and find a new spell checker.

I vote for number one, as the spell checker should function properly and from your description, it sounds as if it is not. But it's your call. 1 or 2.

Is it redlining correctly spelled words or not redlining incorrectly spelled words?

EldiabloConCaca:

When I said I can barely spell cat, I didn't mean literally, I suppose I was being a smart-ass and trying to convey the idea that the spell-checker was failing on too many words — I've lost confidence in it. There's nothing to fix, the spell-checker stinks.

If you want to help me, advise me on how I can replace the software with a spell-checker that uses a different data base. Time and time again my spell-checked rejects words that I later confirm as correct in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. If fact, my spell-checker is rejecting "Merriam-Webster" as I type this!

Can you give an example (or two) of a specific English word that the spell-checker fails on (not a proper noun, like "Merriam-Webster", but something like "bulldozer" or "esophagus"), and I can check it on my system? If it's correctly identified on my system, then perhaps we can "fix" your dictionary and you'll be more pleased with it. For the record, only "Merriam" of "Merriam-Webster" is underlined... is that what appears on your system?

There don't seem to be many 3rd-party replacements for OS X's built-in spell-checker. The most I found were here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/q...h&str=spell+checker&srchArea=macosx&submit=Go

I also believe that Microsoft Office can use its own dictionary for spell-checking, in case you use that

Mac OS X uses the New Oxford American Dictionary for its database. I can confirm that "Merriam-Webster" is not in that dictionary, because it's a proper noun (as well as a name), and few proper nouns appear in the dictionary... "Gutierrez, "Hernandez," and "Braveheart" don't appear in there, and they're as proper a noun as "Merriam-Webster."

I wish to say I'm sorry for being so testy with you earlier. Your continued efforts to help me show you to be the superior person. Thank you for sticking with me.

I entered Merriam-Webster in Mail 1.3.11 and in TextEdit, and on both occasions one continuous dotted red line underlined both words.

I entered Merriam-Webster in the online Merriam-Webster dictionary and noted that only Merriam was underlined!

I think I've made a mountain out of a molehill and I'm going to stop complaining. On those occasions when Spellchecker has failed me (I can't remember specific words right now), I've simply entered the word in Google which has always works for me. Apparently installing another spellchecker is not an easy matter so I'm forgetting about the idea.

The thing is _system-wide_, so no use in testing both Mail.app and TextEdit.app. Just entering words in google isn't really safe, since if too many people spell something wrong, you'll still get enough search results.

When you enter an incorrectly spelled word in Google's search box, you're asked in red ink: Did you mean (correctly spelled word)? There are scores of words Mac OS X 10.3.9 doesn't recognize or respond to, but you'll always get a reaction on Google. For example: when I enter "spelcheck" in Mail, I get nothing. When I enter it in Google, I'm asked: Do you mean spell check?

For my money, my Mac spellchecker stinks.

That is because google does not have a spellchecker per se - I saw a presentation on this from a guy at google a few years back. It basically all works on statistics, it looks for words with a certain level of similarity to your search term, then suggests the one with the highest level on incidence.

The presenter used Britney Spears as an example, if you enter Britnry Spesrs then it suggests Britney Spears as it is similar but far more commonly found on web pages.

On the other hand if a new artist called Britney Speers showed up and became massively popular and so mentioned on many pages, eventually you could enter 'britney spears' and get asked if you meant 'Britney Speers'.

Finally, have you right clicked in the area where you enter textin Mail and made sure under Grammar that 'Check spelling while typing' is enabled.

I must say, now that I know how Google works, it doesn't diminish my opinion that it's more useful for me than my native spell checker.

Although your final paragraph is essentially Greek to me because I'm running a Mac, I do have "Check spelling while typing" enabled.

My ultimate conclusion is, my spell checker doesn't get any medals from me for merit — it's only moderately utile.

I've been having a similar problem since installing Snow Leopard, a s a Google search brought me to this thread. For me the problem was that I got the underlines but there were never any guesses. It turns out, in the Language control panel, every selection you can make has an effect on how the spell checker performs. I played around with all of them for awhile, and suddenly seem to have a functioning, reliable utiity. Don't know if this is still a problem for you. Could be your solution, if it is.

Good luck,
L

Back