Where did the printer driver go?

sch21c

Registered
I've got a printer that I had hooked up directly (HP PSC 1610), which the iMac saw fine and printed to without a problem. I'm trying to put it on a wireless print server, and when I add the printer, input the IP address and go to select the type of HP printer, it doesn't show up in the list. Do I need to do something special to make the driver PSC 1600 show up in the listbox for HP printers on TCP/IP printing?

Print drivers are specific to your communications protocol. You cannot use a USB driver when you are communicating via Ethernet.

So how do I get that printer as an option when trying to select it for wireless printing? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Click on Print under the File Menu. Where the printer shows, pull down that menu and you will see "Bonjour Printers". Your printer should be available for selection since you have already installed the driver. That should allow you to select your printer for wireless printing.

I am certainly no expert but I found that I needed to enable printer sharing in my sharing control panel before my mac OX X 10.4.5 would see my wireless networked printer at all. It is located in System Preferences, Sharing. Simply click Printer Sharing, then try the other suggestions as well. I hope this helps.

Thanks, ljwcic! I just bought an Airport Express and was confused about how to get it to talk to my HP Photosmart 7760. Bonjour!

Doug

sch21c said:
I've got a printer that I had hooked up directly (HP PSC 1610), which the iMac saw fine and printed to without a problem. I'm trying to put it on a wireless print server, and when I add the printer, input the IP address and go to select the type of HP printer, it doesn't show up in the list. Do I need to do something special to make the driver PSC 1600 show up in the listbox for HP printers on TCP/IP printing?

I just found the same issue on a new Canon printer I bought (IP5200R). It took me two days to find the my OS X Tiger Firewall setting (in the Advance tab) of disallowing UPD traffic was preventing me finding the wireless printer function. I now can print to it after deselecting the "Block UDP" function and have complete control over the printer. I found the print speed is about 85% as fast as the USB2 port. Plus now both of my computers can use it now. wirelessly.

Back