erikv11

Registered
I want to type something like this in my terminal

albatross2:~ erikv$ open Finder

but can't seem to find it - any ideas?

Trillian said:
It should be "open /system/library/coreservices/finder"

yep, there it is. thanks.

so why didn't command-f in the Finder (visible and invisible items) come up with that? It saw the Finder copy in the Classic folder, but not in /System/Library/CoreServices/. I'm using 10.2.3 (clean install) on TiBook 800 G4, 1 GB RAM.

weird - if I use command-f in the Jag finder (I run 10.2.8 on my G3 Lombard 400, 512 RAM), it works fine. In fact, what I see is, command-f in my Panther finder does not search /System. Why is that?

This belongs in the "System" forum, I'm going to post it over there ...

Probably to protect people from wrecking their own system...

When in doubt, try the shell (in fact this method turns up quite a few things)
find / -name Finder

BTW 'open Finder' won't work because I can practically guarantee you that "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/" is not in your $PATH.

michaelsanford said:
Probably to protect people from wrecking their own system...
Of course ... but why did they just start with Panther?

michaelsanford said:
When in doubt, try the shell (in fact this method turns up quite a few things)
find / -name Finder

exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much

michaelsanford said:
BTW 'open Finder' won't work because I can practically guarantee you that "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/" is not in your $PATH.

Actually 'open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder" works just fine. But while I'm wrecking my system, where can I look to find out my $PATH anyway? just trying to educate myself ... I had to fix my $MANPATH even though I don't know why it was broken (/private/etc/manpath.config contains

Code:
MANDATORY_MANPATH	/usr/share/man
#
# check if the directory exists and if it does, add it to MANPATH
#
OPTIONAL_MANPATH	/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/man
#
# set up PATH to MANPATH mapping
#
MANPATH_MAP	/bin			/usr/share/man
MANPATH_MAP	/usr/bin		/usr/share/man
MANPATH_MAP	/usr/local/bin		/usr/local/man
MANPATH_MAP	/usr/X11R6/bin		/usr/X11R6/man
#
# set man locales, if needed
#
#MANLOCALES     ru_RU.KOI8-R
and see short thread). Is this file not used? I added back acccess to the system man pages by editing private/etc/profile. Where might I add items to my $PATH? Maybe it's time to start reading :p

Global environment variables are stored in the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file. It is not present by default, however you can create it yourself either with a text editor or with the plist editor.

Here is a handy tool which helps you maintain your environment.plist:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/Bundles.html

Back