Where is the trash?

jove

Hello,

Somehow files got into the trash that the current user does not have permission to empty or move out of! Since the trash is per user - I have no idea how that is even possible.

I would like to do a simple sudo chmod ... but I cannot seem to find the physical location of the trash.

How do I get the items rm-ed, mv-ed, or chmod-ed?

The per-user trash should be at /Users/username/.Trash . Note also that the immutable flag may be set if something can't be deleted; try 'ls -lao' and if any file has uchg after the group owner, run 'chflags nouchg filename' to clear it.

Hello,

Thank you for the help.

I did the rm -rf ~/.Trash/ and some of the items were removed. So I did a "find --name ".Trash* /" and found out the on my 9.1 partition there is a folder called .Trashes with sub directories with numbers as names (501 through 504). I imagine the 501 represents the user that through away files on the 9.1 disk.

I was able to "sudo rm -rf * /Volumes/9.1/.Trashes/501/" to get rid almost everything else. The last is issue is that really annoying locked file problem...

Since I couldn't move them items out in X, I rebooted into 9.1 used resedit to make the ~/.Trash file visible and deleted the items the old fashioned way.

Back