Where's the best/cheapest place to buy RAM on-line?

fotodad

Registered
I'm looking to buy a bunch of RAM for 10 iMacs and 10 eMacs. There seems to be a ton of places who sell RAM on-line. Who's the best and least expensive?

You can also check out RamSeeker.

Here's a recommendation: stay away from cheap RAM. It will end up costing you more. Macs and Mac OS X are picky about RAM because they are sensitive to RAM timings. Get something like from Crucial or Kingston, or any other compatible RAM that is high quality. I'm sure that even the high quality RAM PC users use like OCZ and GeiL should work fine. Stay away from RAM brands that you haven't heard from.

SuperTyphoon said:
OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, Geil and Corsair make the finest ram. I use OCZ in all my computers.

For once, we finally agree on something! ::ha:: :D

Yep -- if you're looking for the cheapest RAM available, then it would be silly not to expect a few problems. Cheap RAM is cheap RAM, and you get what you pay for -- more than likely you'll find a high failure and/or incompatibility rate with cheap RAM.

I would recommend medium-priced, good quality RAM over cheap RAM anyday.

SuperTyphoon said:
RAM is RAm, no matter what computer or OS. And the same great companies make them for all computers.
I've heard that from other people, too. Expensive RAM is no better than cheap RAM. Is it true?

Not exactly, as some companies do skimp and some don't. It's like saying a Hyundai and BMW are the same, or a Compaq and Mac are the same...obviously they're not. Generally there's about 3 or 4 main "product manufacturers" that supply the "brand manufacturers" (Kingston, PNY, Crucial, Corsair, etc.) with their items. Just because they come from a same "product manufacturer" doesn't make them equal though...some of the cheaper brands get the rejected items or limited spec items the higher priced suppliers didn't want.

Basically you need to make sure the RAM you buy meets Apple's specs for the machine you're going to use it in.

[http://www.tigerdirect.com]TigerDirect[/url] is a good all around source for RAM, but on the Mac side of things OWC/MacSales usually has the best deals (and they guarantee everything they sell).

Back