Which graphics card?

drbabbers

Registered
I have a PowerPC G4 Mac and I would like to upgrade my graphics card. I am currently using a ATI Rage 128 Pro which is PCI based and has VGA and DVI output.

This is the current spec:

ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5046
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-63001-108

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

However I know the graphics could be better with the monitor I am using.. also in a higher res. My Mac Mini runs on this screen the the display is crystal clear.

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card that will work with my system?

Thanks.

D

I have a PowerPC G4 Mac and I would like to upgrade my graphics card. I am currently using a ATI Rage 128 Pro which is PCI based and has VGA and DVI output.
No, it's not PCI-based. Look at the specs you posted:
ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5046
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-63001-108
AGP and PCI are two, completely different, non-compatible bus architectures. I don't know where you got the idea that your graphics card is PCI-based, as your System Profiler specs state plainly and in no unclear terms that it's an AGP-based card.

ATi did make both PCI and AGP versions of the Rage 128 for Mac computers -- is that where your confusion is coming from?

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card that will work with my system?
Here are some cards that may work in your system:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/AGP_Slot_Video_Cards

It would behoove you to do some research before taking one's word for it, though -- a simple call to the aforementioned retailer will clear up whether the card is 100% compatible with your system or not.

Sorry yes of course it is AGP.. I am aware of the 2. My mistake! :)

Thanks for the URL, that was the card that came up when I did some research earlier.

D

Just the thread I am looking for! :D

I am waiting on delivery of a new 2.6 GHz iMac with 2 GB Ram, 320GB hard drive and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card. Will this graphics card be good for a flight sim? I have a Win game, IL2 1946, of which I am very fond and will play via boot camp and Win XP. Should I consider upgrading the Graphics card? If so, which one?

I already plan on upgrading the RAM to 4 GB, even though I don't think the 32-bit Win XP game can use more than 2 GB. Will the RAM upgrade make any over-all difference in performance when running the boot camp XP?

Yes, I am getting antsy waiting on my new iMac! :eek:

You cannot upgrade the graphics card in an iMac. The one that the iMac ships with will be the one you're stuck with for the life of the machine.

Only the Mac Pro computers have the capability to have their graphics cards upgraded/switched.

As they always say, the more RAM, the better! Whether it makes a huge difference in your game or not is dependent upon the memory requirements of the game. What are the memory/processor requirements of the game?

Well, as we say here, merde! I'm not terribly worried as the specs on the ATI are very close to the nVidia I had in the PC, so it should run at least as well.

I agree, more RAM is always good. The specs I looked at on the OWC website were a little confusing as it was not clear (to me, anyway) whether my system will accept and use 4 GB or 8 GB. For sure, with memory prices being what they are, I will max out the system. The prices I saw were about 1/4 of the same product here. Even paying the outrageous customs fee of 60%, I can save big time ordering from the USA.

Back