which JAVA VM in new OSX version?

asalerni

Registered
I'd like to know how many and what JVM are installed inside new version.

For example if I install today Mac OSX v10.3 or 10.4 there is inside Java1.3.1, or just 1.4?

1.4.2 is installed by default, with 1.5 (5.0) being available as a download. For the most part, 1.4.2 isn't going to break anything, and with the added tweaks to the VM in 1.4.2, I would much rather run that day-to-day over 1.3.x.

Krevinek said:
1.4.2 is installed by default, with 1.5 (5.0) being available as a download. For the most part, 1.4.2 isn't going to break anything, and with the added tweaks to the VM in 1.4.2, I would much rather run that day-to-day over 1.3.x.
Which leaves the question whether or not anyone has any experience with the J2SE 5.0 release 1 that is available as an alternate for Tiger.

perfessor101 said:
...available as an alternate for Tiger.

The 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 JVMs will co-exist on your Tiger system, meaning you can fully use whichever you like with a few terminal commands. XCode will allow you to choose which you prefer for compiling from within XCode.

... Not to mention that AFAICT, 1.5 will not turn on as a default yet. Mostly the release is for two types of people: Those who need 1.5 for certain apps, and those who need 1.5 to develop those certain apps.

asalerni said:
I'm interested in 1.3.1, is it installed on all new versions or not?
The choices are J2SE 1.2.4 and J2SE 5.0. J2SE 5.0 is a separate download from Apple and does not come with Tiger. There is no option for J2SE 1.3.1 anywhere.

perfessor101 said:
The choices are J2SE 1.2.4 and J2SE 5.0. J2SE 5.0 is a separate download from Apple and does not come with Tiger. There is no option for J2SE 1.3.1 anywhere.

I think it's still there. Under Utilities->Java there are settings for Java 1.3.1 so I'm guessing it's there.

But a better question is, why do you need Java 1.3.1 specifically? Anything that runs on 1.3.1 should run on 1.4.2 and even 1.5.

Viro said:
I think it's still there. Under Utilities->Java there are settings for Java 1.3.1 so I'm guessing it's there.

But a better question is, why do you need Java 1.3.1 specifically? Anything that runs on 1.3.1 should run on 1.4.2 and even 1.5.

Thanks, I need 1.3.1 specifically because I develop an application that use an external library that is certified just until 1.3, maybe it works also with latest java version but I have to be sure, so I make the executable of my application to run just with 1.3.1

Even with the latest JDKs, if you compile your application with the flag "-target 1.3" , the compiler will generate bytecode that is compliant with Java 1.3.

the problem is the opposite, my application is compiled by 1.3.1 but I don't know if the final user have or not on his OSX the JVM 1.3.1

Because I have a 10.2.8 OSX version but I don't know if the newer versions has or not the Java 1.3 installed

Any ant-guru that can tell me how to make ant use Java 1.5 for my compile and run tasks on Tiger. Preferably with ant tags so I chose wich JVM to use via ant.

I have fiddled with build.compiler , but no success so far.

I even tried the java-dev mailing list, but no help there.

asalerni said:
the problem is the opposite, my application is compiled by 1.3.1 but I don't know if the final user have or not on his OSX the JVM 1.3.1

Because I have a 10.2.8 OSX version but I don't know if the newer versions has or not the Java 1.3 installed

Any application compiled with 1.3.1 should run with no modifications at all on newer VMs. This means they should have no problem with running on 1.4.x or 1.5.x.

I'm using Netbeans (not by choice - would prefer Eclipse) and am trying to remote debug an app on a test server. I need doc on the 1.4.2 JVM connector options to set this up. Anybody know where that is?

Back