which Mac OS 8.xx is the best?

King Hardicnut

Registered
can somebody please tell me that?

I have no experience with Mac, only when I was like 4 or 5 years old, but I can't even remember, I'm now running on a Pc, but I would like to fix my old Mac again, only then I first need a new Mac Os, somebody told me that for that Mac I should take 8.xx, but she didn't know which version of 8 was the best

like I said, I really don't know anything about Mac :p
but I do know that it is

Power Mac
7300/166

(extra RAM in it)

I don't know if this is what you mean

You can go up to OS 9.1 on that machine. OS 8.6 would probably run best.

King Hardicnut said:
ok thnx :D, and then i'm gonna mess around with that old Mac that already stands unused on the same place for like 6 years o_O

If you are going to go to a higher OS than 8.0 your hard-drive will need to be reformatted to the "extended format" which stores files in such a way as to conserve more space on the drive. You will need to re-initialize that hard drive which means that you will need to back up whatever's on the drive to another drive and then put all the data back into the newly reformatted drive. If you don't copy the contents of the drive on the old mac, everything will be lost and I would bet going through that drive would be like opening a time-capsule! I need to do the same thing with my 9 year old 7500/100 which still runs strong with a 225 mgz. cpu from a 9500.

MAC OS 8.1 and later do provide support for the HFS Extended format, but re-formatting is only required if you want that more efficient file storage. You can choose to ignore that feature, especially if your hard drive is relatively small (less than 2 GB). Also, if you format an external drive with extended format, it could no longer be used with a system that is running OS 8 or lower.

Back