Which Mac to Buy?

mrsmclean

Registered
I'm finally making the switch from using a PC since 1990 to a Mac. However I want something powerful enough to work with video editing and gaming. The iMac's look great, but it's hard for me to buy an LCD that is built into a system knowing that eventually it will be thrown away, and I want a big screen (20"), which would be even harder to throw away then the 17". Plus you can't upgrade the graphics card. So the G5 Dual 2Ghz system looks enticing. But I'm wary of buying that because of Mac's transition to Intel products. Should I wait another year? If I buy the G5 will it be obsolete in two years? The reason I'm truly switching is because of the OS. Those who are truly unbiased know that a fully loaded PC system with an AMD 64 Dual Chip processor is faster then the G5. Of course certain tests will show the Mac ahead, but let's be realistic, right now apple is not at the front of the speed game. Apple undoubtedly sells the most secure, functional, and beautiful OS, not to mention the design of their systems and the hardcore fans that are loyal. That is why I'm buying one...anyways back to the question..should I wait to get the G5? Or should I buy the 20" iMac which I'll have to eventually throw away (sad)....
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I have one of the first Dual G5 models (see my signature). For video editing a Dual G5 is the Mac to go for. For Mac speed tests, the site to look at is Bare Feats.

The Dual PowerMac is at least among the fastest computers you can buy today (i.e. the difference probably doesn't matter at all to the majority of people).

If you want the computer now, I would buy it now. There's no such thing as future proofing a computer purchase - in a given number of years faster computers will come onto the market and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

If anything, I'd recommend not buying the first generation of the Intel Macs - they're obviously going to have some issues (hopefully minor). The current line of PowerMacs have been around long enough now to have had the kinks worked out.

If you're still in two minds, I'd recommend getting the iMac. i.e. Save your money (the PowerMac + 20" display is about double the cost of the iMac) and then buy the even faster computer 4 to 5 years from now.

Kap

mrsmclean said:
I'm finally making the switch from using a PC since 1990 to a Mac. However I want something powerful enough to work with video editing and gaming. The iMac's look great, but it's hard for me to buy an LCD that is built into a system knowing that eventually it will be thrown away, and I want a big screen (20"), which would be even harder to throw away then the 17". Plus you can't upgrade the graphics card. So the G5 Dual 2Ghz system looks enticing. But I'm wary of buying that because of Mac's transition to Intel products. Should I wait another year? If I buy the G5 will it be obsolete in two years? The reason I'm truly switching is because of the OS. Those who are truly unbiased know that a fully loaded PC system with an AMD 64 Dual Chip processor is faster then the G5. Of course certain tests will show the Mac ahead, but let's be realistic, right now apple is not at the front of the speed game. Apple undoubtedly sells the most secure, functional, and beautiful OS, not to mention the design of their systems and the hardcore fans that are loyal. That is why I'm buying one...anyways back to the question..should I wait to get the G5? Or should I buy the 20" iMac which I'll have to eventually throw away (sad)....
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ceroc Addict said:
If you want the computer now, I would buy it now. There's no such thing as future proofing a computer purchase - in a given number of years faster computers will come onto the market and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

If anything, I'd recommend not buying the first generation of the Intel Macs - they're obviously going to have some issues (hopefully minor). The current line of PowerMacs have been around long enough now to have had the kinks worked out.

That's true, right after i bought my Powerbook it was updated... :mad: but oh well it happens, you can't guarantee anything in electronics nowadays.

I want to get a mac desktop, but i'm gonna wait for a "Mactel" Rev. B or C, just so all of the mac programs i have are updated. From rumors i heard, most apple programs are going to be free, thank god. I don't want to buy Adobe CS2 again... ::ha::

This Guide will help big time :
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Your best bet is to assess your needs and what your using it for, but you don't need to get need an apple monitor, if you already have a monitor just use that one. Monitors last for a good few years after a PC goes obsolete.

Back