Which Smart UPS for MacPro 3.33GHz?

vja4Him

Registered
I will be getting a MacPro 3.33GHz soon, and need to find the right Smart UPS system that will allow the MacPro to automatically save and shut down.

I've been searching through the specs on many Smart UPS systems and have found very few that list Mac OSX on the system requirements.

Check here? Call them--they are very helpful.

http://www.apc.com/index.cfm

Thanks for the suggestion! I just got off the phone with APC tech support. They were very helpful. They told me that they cannot guarantee that their software will work with the Mac, and automatically save and shut down during a power failure.

They told me that the Mac OS should have a native automatic save and shut-down feature that will recognize a power failure and automatically save and shut down.

The technician recommended the SMT 1500 and mentioned something about active PFC and pure sine wave.

I'm new to all this technical stuff relating to UPS systems ....

I'm wondering if I could get by just fine with a lower wattage UPS, like the:

APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V

I won't be doing any serious gaming or video work.

I wonder why Apple doesn't use those biiiiiiiiig Mac Pro cases to _include_ a UPS. They make great batteries, don't they. Of course those Mac Pro boxes are heavy enough without the additional weight, but it'd sure make some sense.

I wonder why Apple doesn't use those biiiiiiiiig Mac Pro cases to _include_ a UPS. They make great batteries, don't they. Of course those Mac Pro boxes are heavy enough without the additional weight, but it'd sure make some sense.

lol ... !!! If Apple did make USP systems, they would cost at least double, maybe even triple, compared with other units!

lol ... !!! If Apple did make USP systems, they would cost at least double, maybe even triple, compared with other units!

...but they would be worth every penny and work seamlessly with their computer counterparts, unlike UPS systems that are typically installed on Windows machines that require drivers, special control software (usually written in the horrible language of Java) and constant babysitting.

;)

Not everyone is interested in getting the absolute lowest-price, cheapest "thing" on the market... otherwise we'd all live in efficiency apartments, eat Ramen noodles at every meal, and drive Hyundais.

Back