Which version of XP?

juanadanac

Registered
I am sure this has been answered, but I have given up looking.
I have a legit version of Windows XP but not with SP2 attached. I just downloaded it onto my old PC. Can I use the old version of XP and download SP2, or must it come on the same disk?
Thanks for your help

What is a "... legit version of Windows XP but not with SP2 attached. I just downloaded it onto my old PC."? and how is a downloaded copy 'legit"? Unless you are simply describing that you have already installed it on another PC. That would probably leave you with difficulty activating Windows XP on the Mac... :)

Anyway - From the BootCamp document 'Read before you install"
Important: You must use a single-disc, full-install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, and you cannot install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it later to SP2. Do not use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

You can create a slipstreamed copy of WinXP. The slipstreaming process adds SP2 to the Win install CD. Here's one site with instructions on how to do that.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1626&page=1

I had to preface my comment so the Mods didn't send me to forum hell. My "legit" copy is actually one that I had for my old pc before I dumped it (gave it to a friend) when I got my new mac. When SP2 came out, I downloaded it onto the pc. Do you follow?

I will try your slipstream solution. Thanks for the help!

What is a "... legit version of Windows XP but not with SP2 attached. I just downloaded it onto my old PC."? and how is a downloaded copy 'legit"? Unless you are simply describing that you have already installed it on another PC. That would probably leave you with difficulty activating Windows XP on the Mac... :)

Anyway - From the BootCamp document 'Read before you install"

You can create a slipstreamed copy of WinXP. The slipstreaming process adds SP2 to the Win install CD. Here's one site with instructions on how to do that.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1626&page=1

I follow :D now that I re-read your first post...

You will have to call Microsoft to get your Windows activated on your new system - have fun doing that! :)

Merged your two threads. Do _not_ create the same thread twice, please. We just need it in the correct forum, and the BootCamp forum's certainly the one and _only_ it belongs to. Thx.

And yes, you need an installation CD that comes with SP2. Slipstreamed SP2 should work.

Back